*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2009 transit connect Black smoke under acceleration

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2009 transit connect Black smoke under acceleration

Postby Chriscalvert » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:46 pm

I’ve recently down sized to a transit connect T230 LWB, it’s got the 1.8 duratorq engine in.
So I viewed the van and took it for a drive, now I neglected to keep an eye on the mirror to see what colour smoke was being produced under acceleration. At idle it doesn’t produce black smoke. So this lead me to believe that it was a simple service would sort it out. So new oil filter and air filter, only thing I haven’t done is the fuel filter.

Now this has reduced the level of black smoke but not completely removed it. From what I can see the vans had a new high pressure fuel regulator and pump, as well as new fuel lines.

I don’t know these vans very well and assume my next port of call is the injectors? Also what sort of range should I be expecting from these type of vans. I got 320 miles out of a tank. Is this normal or again would it point to the over fueling issues.

Any help or ideas would be a massive help. Also I’ve scanned it and believe it had issues with injector rail previously It’s not throwing engine lights. I’ve cleared the codes and keep scanning it but no codes keep coming back, only the air conditioning clutch?
Chriscalvert

Re: 2009 transit connect Black smoke under acceleration

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:20 am

Just done some research ..the fuel light comes on when you have still 15 litres in the tank the tank holds 60 litres ..so you are getting 45 litres to 320 miles - which works out about 30 mpg

according to honest john site the average mpg is 37

so if you are filling when the light comes on, you are using more than expected.

As you don't say how much diesel you are putting in for those 320 miles ..?

and that's about all i can tell you, others here who are more clued up with the workings of TDCI will add their advice.

to help them:
...what's the engines mileage
...the year ..as that will tell them what emissions equipment it has.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: 2009 transit connect Black smoke under acceleration

Postby Chriscalvert » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:30 am

Thanks mark, the van is a 2009 with 133k on the clock.
Chriscalvert

Return to Transit Connect