*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect died while driving tonight and now won't fire up

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Connect died while driving tonight and now won't fire up

Postby sparkybandit » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:56 pm

Hi Forum,
My connect '07 1.8TDCI (149k Miles) died on me while driving up to a set of lights and then would not fire up.
I had to call recovery out and he was not a mechanic just a towaway person so he didn't do much indepth diagnostics.
What he did do was put his codereader in and only found a fault with the mass air flow sensor which i was aware about and no other dtc's flagged up.
He tried starting her,no joy it's like there's no fuel but i've a quarter of a tank in there,he also put her into 1st gear and, under the strength of the starter motor ,van would pull away a bit that's it. He removed oil filler cap to see if camshaft was spinning but couldn't see anything as there's a metal cover over it.
He could only suggest it might be fuel delivery fault / cambelt may have lost it's timming / camshaft sensor fault...he suggested i see ring AA abd ask for one of their mechanics to come out and diagnose and try to get it done for free as I have missed out on tis opportunity because I broke down in a high risk spot so they simply sent a tow truck and not a regular AA van
It's now on my drive,and i've put battery on charge for overnight and will try fault finding tommorow.
Any ideas of what I should check?
much appreciated any help
Mark
p.s. I've never had any problems with the van not starting in the year i've owned it only egr and mass air flow sensor flags probably becuase shes carboned up inside the valve. When i go above 2,500 rev the cog drivetrain light comes on then goes off once revs drop.never been an issue. Drove a long journey today 100 miles no problems till the end of it.
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Connect died while driving tonight and now won't fire up

Postby sparkybandit » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:25 am

Found a link to someone having the exact same problem as i have...

https://mhhauto.com/Thread-Ford-Transit ... on-t-start

it occured to me while i was driving as well.
I've got a code reader and 'Forscan' software so i can do some real time data diags..just ordered a diesel priming tool pump so i can bypass filter
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:51 pm

You mention the cambelt - but you may have two belts to worry about ..-- Engines made after October/2007 on-wards had "wetbelts" instead of timing chains in the lower case on the engine
- - Estimated life span of wetbelts by Ford is 150,000 miles ..actual lifespan seems to be 90 - 130,000 miles - or by age

A wetbelt is a belt similar to a cambelt ..but it runs in the engine oil, and completely forgotten about until it snaps or strips its teeth and destroys engine.

note .the upper cambelt is driven by the wetbelt, people could have changed that upper cambelt many times ..but if they neglected to change the wetbelt ..then it's all been for nothing.

let's hope its not this - but at 149,000 miles should not be ignored and age is not on your side either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkybandit » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:26 pm

Thank you for your reply! No it's not a wet belt engine,I rang ford earlier this year because I had concerns about that and they said thankfully not.
Okay so today I removed the ignition switch (grey and black small box) and opened it up to find it gummy but not too badly scored on it's contact tracks,cleaned and put back together.
Tried starting her again and like i said it cranks and turns over which is good but won't fire up to life.
Just plugged my laptop into it and using Forscan I've discovered a new fault code that the Recovery lad did not see on his code reader...

===PCM DTC P0341-71===
Code: P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal is Above Maximum Threshold

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
- Test not complete

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)

This DTC may be caused by :

Wiring Harness Short to Battery or Short to Ground

Damaged or contaminated connector

CMP sensor

Faulty or damaged PCM.
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:06 pm

Ok thats good .
confused by all those initials and and what they mean dtc, cmp, dcm - does fordscan have a key with what these mean

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkybandit » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:33 pm

just pulled the Camshaft position sensor,very oily,cleaned it and put my multimeter to it and it reads out fine.
power cable: White/grey cable reads 12v
signal cable: yellow/grey cable reads 5v
Wire to ECU :Brown
Connected sensor and turned ignition on,sensor reads 5v...pass a metal socket near it and voltage drops to zero to sensor fine
Now to re-install and try staring her again
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sparkybandit » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:53 pm

Okay,I shone a torch into the hole the camshaft sensor goes in to and i presume i am looking at the camshaft itself
got a friend to turn the ignition and i can't see the camshaft turning at all .bugger.
what would stop that from turning? am i looking at belts now?
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:14 pm

i would start by taking the cover off the cambelt .........if the cambelt is intact .....then ford have got it wrong and you have a wetbelt ..
i looked into this a lot when i first bought my van..as i was worried once i heard about this!
I read that even a couple of years ago some ford garages didn't know which engines had it. and were confused about it, that could still be true .

The only true way of telling, is to pull the tensioner bolt out of the back of the engine ...the bolt for the chain is different to that of a belt .also there is a different colour to the bolts - black or silver ...but if snapped that info is of no use to you . .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkybandit » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:00 pm

I''ve removed the coolant tank,power steering reservoir in readiness for tommorow.
Gonna remove engine mount take the cover off and see what's what
If it's intact then wet belt scenario,if snapped then a different scenario...both a pain in the arse.
Last edited by sparkybandit on Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:42 pm

Yes ..but bare this in mind it can revolve a little if it has just stripped teeth, so turn it the full 360 when checking.
Hope it isn't that though ..hoping you're mistaken about how the camshaft sensor works.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkybandit » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:06 pm

even if camshaft sensor was ok i should still be able to see camshaft turning on crank over shouldnt i? and it's not moving at all
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:22 pm

never mind ..that's the oil pressure switch ...where exactly is this cam shaft sensor ?
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkybandit » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:25 am

see attached pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:19 am

i see .
well it's all down to what damage there is then .

I'm sure someone here will tell you what gets bent and mangled

With ford sky high prices for spare parts ..you may be looking at a recon or used engine .

Be interesting to see what gets damaged though. or how cheaply it can be fixed.

There is a glut of used engines on ebay, over 150 to choose from starting at £65 in auction and £99 BIN - so not such bad news ..I'm not surprised at this, having seen their rust problems (lots get scraped)...at those prices, makes me think, i should buy one myself, just for cheap spares should i need them.

Think it's not total loss to you either, as you will also have that engine as spares ..meaning all the sensors,(to help you with diagnostics) add on's, emission stuff, injectors and pump to keep your replacement going for a long time ,...

A thought, you could sell the injectors and pump off this bust engine for the price of a used complete engine.

all the best....mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkybandit » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:52 pm

I thought best i check she's getting fuel so disconnected the 3 lines coming out of the fuel filter one by one and checked on crank over what occured.
fuel came out of the red one on the left in picture,the middle connector on the filteras well but nothing out of the far right line which is coloured white and which i believe is the return line back to tank?
I understand there is a further pump on the front of the engine but i haven't worked out how to check that one yet..i believe its the high pressure one which feeds the rail?
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Connect