*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect died while driving tonight and now won't fire up

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Connect died while driving tonight and now won't fire up

Postby sparkybandit » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:32 pm

Cambelt shredded
Going to take head off tmrw and see what the damage is.
Need to buy the timing tool kit for this van so it's ebay but they are all chinese suppliers ..anyone know a UK supplier?
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:54 pm

If you buy a used one ..you'll get it from a uk seller

i bought a sykes pickavant one the other day.
not sure it's correct ..but seen Alan Howatt - the taxi mechanic of youtube using the exact same one in his wet belt video

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255116239193

so went for it

made offer

got it for £15

Even if it does not work, no problem ...i will relist it and get much more with a clean up and proper description.

now waiting to see what damage its done to your engine.

BTW- cambelt tool kit - laser are supposed to be ok

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkybandit » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:45 pm

just ordered this hopefully it does arrive this year!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393420043128
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:17 pm

Well good luck .

I've heard that the lobes can twist on the camshafts, and conrods can bend - these are two items of damage that is hard to spot.

All the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:31 pm

Cam locking tools came today - a lot better than expected ..i thought it was a blow-molded plastic box with a bust hinged lid

No - it was a steel box ......and he had taken the lid off ..so it would look like a busted plastic box ..and not sell for weeks . :D
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkybandit » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 pm

Just an update to anyone watching....Initially a mate suggested I just set the timing up and fit a new belt and try her but although she was just idling when it snapped I suspect valves plus more will be damaged so as much as I don't want to I am going to whip the head off and see whats occuring.
So far I have removed the cat and disconnected alot of items like alternator / starter / egr cooler assembly and where I am now is at the point of cracking off the studs that hold the turbo and the inlet on,liberally soaked with homebrew pas fluid/acetone mix for past few days and hopefully will all come out without issue..we'll see.
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:29 pm

Yes we will see ...

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkybandit » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:31 pm

here's the money shots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sparkybandit » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 pm

So that's the obvious damage but i want to now strip the lower crankcase down and check the crankshaft and conrods & remove the pistons.
I've removed all the bolts connecting the lower crankcase to the top half including a bolt that is visible from inside the sump and a torx bolt at one corner and after gentle taping with a rubber mullet i can hear i'm close to removing it but it won't budge and I don't want to damage anything.
can anyone advise on the right process to remove as I've leafed through my Haynes and it doesn't even mention it.
Bare in mind I have removed the side plate that goes over the crankshaft and diesel pump twin drive chain but I've not removed the oil pump,and obviously I haven't removed the chain yet unless it's necessary.
any advice appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:47 pm

i would be checking the valve gear camshaft etc ..before i went any further ...and then adding up the price of that. as the price of that may far exceed the price of a very good used engine.
so far from the pictures it needs 2 pistons and 4 valves ... the pistons have received such a smash that the rods almost certainly will be bent.- even if they don't look it ...and the shells will be indented - interesting that the valves left a strait line pattern on the pistons - was expecting to see a curve / crescent shape.
I also note, there is very little carbon in this engine.

of interest - how much caked up crap is there in the inlet ports from the egr and breather system

second hand piston and rods are on ebay for £25 - £50 ish ....but i would never fit a s./h piston.

but you are just stripping it to see all damage out of curiosity ...then it does not matter - you are not going to be rebuilding this engine!

all the best.mark - BTW - thanks for going to the trouble - this is very interesting
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkybandit » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Hi mate the exhaust and inlet very caked up,will post pics.
So it looks like I can't remove the lower crankcase on it's own,a quick google search showed an OP's similar question and for me to get access to the crankshaft and pistons I need to split the gearbox from the block and drop the block out. I do have a friend who could lend me a hoist if i'm stuck but I'm going to see if i can drop the block using trolley jacks and gentle persuasion first.
Will consult Haynes book of lies and start on it tommorow.
Anyone with prior experience of this please leave me some notes.
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Boghopper » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:08 pm

I can remember I had to remove the timing case and there was a small M6 bolt that went into 'the back' of the timing case, it took me ages to find it, and that was only because someone on this forum told me about it. You had to access it from underneath and with the sump pan removed. No manual exists that even mentions is it, including the Ford manuals.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Transit Connect