*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Which is the best quality sill repair panels

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Which is the best quality sill repair panels

Postby TwoNutsRacing » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:35 pm

Hello everyone, first post here.

I am just renovating at230 LWB high top transit connect MK1(2008) and want to find some good quality outer sill panels. I would like to put it back to original spec, so want ones with the jacking triangles etc.

Can anyone recommend some brands and sources that they have bought that fit well and are good pressings. Only want LWB ones please.

Martin
TwoNutsRacing

Re: Which is the best quality sill repair panels

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:03 pm

Non of them have the jacking point strengtheners in them ..the strengtheners are in the inner sills. and are very poor to start with, no one makes proper inner sills ...only patch weld-over "L" shaped panels that go over them. which is a botch. they also dont have the drain swages.
The outer sill panels - yes, after using simple ones, (NO JACKING POINT TRIANGULAR INDICATORS) i strongly advise full panels ...so you get both ends .........cut them down to what you need to take out.
I found a lot of rot in the centre/middle sill sections and centre box sections ......again no one makes these...and you are going to be fabricating stuff to replace these ....
inner, outer, middle and centre box sections are all made out of 20 and 22 gauge - very thin ....i replaced/ repaired mine with 16 gauge (1.8mm) and made jacking points from steel plate approximately 3" x 10" x 1/4" inch thick.

link
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=209329&hilit=outer+sills

I think all outer sill repair panels available are going to be 22 gauge 0.7mm because that's what the originals were.
Note: the full sill replacements have a row of holes along them .....supposedly for drainage as the original .......I'm of the opinion that they let water in as well as out .....which is why i made the choice of the smaller repair panels which don't have them - you pays your money and you make the choice ...its a hard one .

The original sills are of a bad design .....for long term ownership (perhaps weld up these holes) if you are using the full sills .

You are in for a long and complicated job . if the centres are rotted .

All the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect