*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Import from Hong Kong. Worth it?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Import from Hong Kong. Worth it?

Postby mrtn » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:44 am

semo.pz wrote:Thanks for confirming, that's what I've gathered in my research too. Does your 1.6 have the 6F35 too or is your experience of it from a different vehicle? As for the Mercon LV, do you think it is OK to use a Mannol or Febi substitute? It seems I'd have to import the original Ford one from the US which is a bit pricey. The following video shows the ATF change procedure which seems easy enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msn1QgKI17A
Just need an extra long size 10 hex key and a long neck funnel.

Both 1.6 Ecoboost and 2.5 NA Connects have 6F35. You can use any substitute as long as it meets Mercon LV/Dexron VI specification. Motorcraft fluid wasn't more expensive than any of the brand name alternatives IIRC.

The import part is weird as this box is widely used in all modern Fords, including Mondeo, S-Max, etc. Should be available off the shelf in any well equipped shop.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mrtn » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:11 am

Hmm, read the Youtube video comments. There's a warning on Castrol LV.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby semo.pz » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:29 am

mrtn wrote:
semo.pz wrote:Thanks for confirming, that's what I've gathered in my research too. Does your 1.6 have the 6F35 too or is your experience of it from a different vehicle? As for the Mercon LV, do you think it is OK to use a Mannol or Febi substitute? It seems I'd have to import the original Ford one from the US which is a bit pricey. The following video shows the ATF change procedure which seems easy enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msn1QgKI17A
Just need an extra long size 10 hex key and a long neck funnel.

Both 1.6 Ecoboost and 2.5 NA Connects have 6F35. You can use any substitute as long as it meets Mercon LV/Dexron VI specification. Motorcraft fluid wasn't more expensive than any of the brand name alternatives IIRC.

The import part is weird as this box is widely used in all modern Fords, including Mondeo, S-Max, etc. Should be available off the shelf in any well equipped shop.

That makes sense, I'll have to look into it further but on initial search, I couldn't find any Motorcraft (maybe the dealers stock it at a reasonable price).

Also, is your LPG tank underslung, how big?
semo.pz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby mrtn » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:58 am

semo.pz wrote:Also, is your LPG tank underslung, how big?

65L in place of spare wheel. Good for 450-600 km depending on the conditions.

You can also look for Dexron VI fluid as the same box is used in lots of GM cars.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby V184 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:24 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Well you can switch the LPG off i you want. and run it on petrol if preferred, on lpg (half the price of petrol)the oil will stay golden and the engine will last . as well as the exhaust system - longer. you have to keep on top of the ignition though.
the only thing i would worry about is the auto box - ford don't have a good reputation for them.

more concerned with the space lost with the tank :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby semo.pz » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:11 pm

mrtn wrote:
semo.pz wrote:Also, is your LPG tank underslung, how big?

65L in place of spare wheel. Good for 450-600 km depending on the conditions.

You can also look for Dexron VI fluid as the same box is used in lots of GM cars.
That's impressive but I guess the Ecoboost lives up to its name. I wonder, since the petrol tank isn't used, could a competent installer chuck another doughnut for tandem tanks? I'll ask around (probably not but worth a check).

The GM tip is noted (read on wikipedia that this gearbox is a joint effort so makes sense). More likely to strike lucky on the Ford side though as GM isn't as well represented in the UK since Vauxhall/Opel was taken over by the French.

@V184, Yes the tank kills some of the van's practicality but as above, it can be deleted/moved to the spare wheel well. Keep in mind that all these 2.5s are the long wheel base version so you still get about a hatchback's worth of boot space (not great as a trade van obviously, they were meant to be taxis after all)
semo.pz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby mrtn » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:22 pm

semo.pz wrote:I wonder, since the petrol tank isn't used, could a competent installer chuck another doughnut for tandem tanks? I'll ask around (probably not but worth a check).

I have my petrol tank in place and it's in sequential use if needed. It switches to petrol automatically when the LPG tank depletes and back to LPG when refilled.

1.6 Ecoboost isn't that eco in TC really. Better suited for smaller cars like Focus or Fiesta. I average around 9.5l/100 km (29.7 mpg).
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby semo.pz » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:42 pm

Forgot to ask a very important question. Are the catalytic converters nickable on these? I know that anything is possible but scum generally don't bother if the cat is wedged inside the engine bay. I'd probably have to ask this in a US forum where this engine is more common.
semo.pz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby semo.pz » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:09 pm

I've given up on these. Insurance is very hard to get. I've only been able to get one quote from Adrian Flux but it was £1500 (a similar-ish UK spec van quote was around £301). I spent hours on the phone with various insurers. If they can't find it on a list of UK specced vans, they have to do a chassis quote or something. A lot of these insurers claim that they deal with imports yet, they don't even recognise US specs (where these 6F35 2.5s are very common). Half the time was spent being sent from pillar to post as they couldn't make up their mind if these are cars or vans

Other than that, these are just normal Ford vans. Called a Ford dealer in Peterborough that was happy to do the recall on these free of charge and immediately recognised the gearbox and associated gubbins that are necessary. Even gave me the VIN from a VRM I provided which I hoped would help with the insurance search.
semo.pz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby mrtn » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:21 pm

Damn, that sucks. I don't understand the logic in insurance difference.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Transit Connect