*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

survey - How long to get to running temperature

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

survey - How long to get to running temperature

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:04 pm

Bit of a survey here - see what everyone else is experiencing

Mine will soon be on the road again .
in the short time i had it on the road, at the temperatures we are experiencing this week (5-6 degrees), it would take about 5+ miles to get to running temperature.
At 0 degree temperatures it would take over 8 miles

by running temperature, i mean the needle on the gauge is between 10 and 11 o'clock

no warm up
heater not switched on until 2 miles

is this right, mines a 2006 75ps TDDI swb.

Never really got the chance in the summer to work out if it had a faulty thermostat or not, as i put it off the road in May

Last car i had, a petrol rover 420 - this had a cast iron engine too, would take 2 miles at this weeks temperatures
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: survey - How long to get to running temperature

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:21 pm

Diesels take ages to warm up.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Kenton » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:46 pm

Perfectly normal. For me and mine, this is exactly what I get. Engine runs VERY cool in the winter, and stays below average in the summer. To be clear, winter as of this morning was -3°. It took me about 2 miles of suburban driving at normal 30/40 mph driving to get to near half way on the temp needle. Has always been like this. Summer, it takes a rather warm day (above 27° ish in traffic) for the engine fan to come on! If I have the A/C on, then obviously it comes on, but even that takes a while to kick in! If I use the A/C on a normal mild day (around say 17 - 18°C) the fan will sometimes never kicks in, even standing still. (Single fan assembly for engine and A/C on mine)
Hope this makes sense mate. The older oil burners seem to run cooler if they are good generally speaking.
K
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:06 pm

if yours warmed up in less than 2 miles in minus 3 conditions ...then i should come to the conclusion that mine must have a duff thermostat

but this is a survey, one answer does not do it for me ..and more people must answer before i make this decision
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby blue estate » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:30 pm

Mine can take 10 miles to come up to temp
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Kenton » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:15 pm

metalworker0 wrote:if yours warmed up in less than 2 miles in minus 3 conditions ...then i should come to the conclusion that mine must have a duff thermostat

but this is a survey, one answer does not do it for me ..and more people must answer before i make this decision

I did say "near" half way. I know this is a survey. Why be so hostile? :roll:
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:37 pm

sorry if i came across that way , it was not meant

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:38 pm

metalworker0 wrote:
but this is a survey, one answer does not do it for me

Err, you said it was “a bit of a survey” and that’s exactly what you have. :lol:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby andz327 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:53 am

From freezing my 2.2 fwd up to temp driving 5 mins , about 2 miles and Temp is at normal , if I try to get to normal stationary in drive it'll take for ever, soon as heated screen clears am off.....vans heater blower wouldn't be on....... cab would already be warm with night heater(not the pre heat engine type), if very cold I just press the remote 15mins before going out house

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby travelling man » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:03 pm

In the winter, my 12 plate will struggle to make the centre of the gauge on the 20 mile run from home to the boatyard where I keep my boat, but the heater will be putting out warm air within a couple of miles.

Summer, abroad in warmer weather, say above an ambient of 12c, gauge in the middle withing 3 miles at the most.

Always found HGV's to be 'slow' to warm up in the colder weather, but heat was usually available from the cab heater pretty quickly!
'05 Transit Connect T230 LX TDCi Engine buggered in Spain,replaced with a T200 base 12 plate in white which also buggered it's engine in Spain!
2nd Connect had breakdown insurance and an engine swap, see how long it lasts.....
travelling man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:27 pm

travelling man wrote:In the winter, my 12 plate will struggle to make the centre of the gauge on the 20 mile run from home to the boatyard where I keep my boat, but the heater will be putting out warm air within a couple of miles.

Summer, abroad in warmer weather, say above an ambient of 12c, gauge in the middle withing 3 miles at the most.

Always found HGV's to be 'slow' to warm up in the colder weather, but heat was usually available from the cab heater pretty quickly!

That sounds more like what I'm getting, still wondering, need more replies really.

As others here in my locality, I've talked to say: ..they are like mine.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby travelling man » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:35 pm

The other morning mine was clearly frozen windscreen and maybe minus 1 or 2c... started it up and set the heater to max demist and left it alone whilst I finished my morning cuppa. By then, the 'screen has deiced and the cab was sort of toasty, mirrors were still, um, 'difficult', but who needs to see behind? Perhaps five minutes to clear the cab windows.

Seems OK to me! When 'tramping' and living in lorries, the ability to fire up the engine before exiting one's sleeping bag was always welcome.
'05 Transit Connect T230 LX TDCi Engine buggered in Spain,replaced with a T200 base 12 plate in white which also buggered it's engine in Spain!
2nd Connect had breakdown insurance and an engine swap, see how long it lasts.....
travelling man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect