*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect going in and out of limp mode!?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Connect going in and out of limp mode!?

Postby SandyHenderson » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:24 pm

Hi again folks!

I'm posting this on behalf of my brother as he's been having issues with his 09 connect. It keeps going into limp mode. It seems to be happening every so often and then it doesn't happen for a while but then it'll do it again when you least expect it.

He's had 3 injectors replaced already. The fuel filter was changed less than a year ago too. The revs don't go by 3k and I'm sure he has a power loss. Usually if he turns the engine off and on a few times then it'll reset and work but this time it just isn't going away. I've told him to try disconnect the battery for a while to see if it'll get it working again for now but the problem needs sorted properly!

So here's the codes he's got when scanning the van. It said something to do with the clutch sensor too but he's tried wiggling that around also with no luck.

Any help is much appreciated. I'll post more info from him when I can!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Connect going in and out of limp mode!?

Postby SandyHenderson » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:41 pm

Also, his cluster unit/speedo was going a bit mad a few weeks ago. The dials were moving up and down and doing random things. He's noticed his negative terminal is loose on the battery now, he tried tightening it but it just goes loose, so he's going to replace the terminal and clean battery. Think this could be it? Or any other ideas?
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:26 am

Mine had a split upper boost hose when it did this. Very difficult to spot, the smoke test didn't find it as it wasn't under any load. I had to take the pipes off and examine them to see it.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bortaf » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:33 am

Ive had loose terminals on lots of fords, especialy with the type with the 10mm nut on top, the terminal does stretch but usually when i measure the terminal on the battery it's smaller than the new one, cheap batterys use a low grade of lead IMHO and they wear out and or shrink shrink :? esp in the colder weather :?: as a quick fix i use a bit of ally pie tin (thick foil type) over the termial then reclamp it, a bonus is you get to eat a pie as well :lol: (preferably mince beef and onion) :mrgreen:
the pie filling has no effect on the robustness of this "hack" :wink:

Pull on the boost hoses a bit as they are ribbed and a split can hide in the ribs ?
i'd probably be draining some fuel from the filter into a glass jar and seeing what it looks like, i've recently had a few motors with diesel bug for some reason ? it could also be water contamination, there's a drain on the bottom of the filter.
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect