*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Please help!!! Info/advice needed. Transit connect

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Please help!!! Info/advice needed. Transit connect

Postby tintin8 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:26 pm

Hi everyone, I've recently bought a transit connect 2010 model 75hp, really clean example 104k- on reading I noticed these have a wet belt and due to no info on change of the wet belt and reading horror stories of them going before the 120k mark I decided for peace of mind to get the belt done again and the wet belt converted to chain at the same time so I know it's good- picked it up from the garage Friday afternoon and 6 miles down the road the new timing belt snapped- devastated is an understatement..... I managed to get the garage to recover me however seemed hesitant, I've left it with him now as it needs repairing. what I'm wanting to know is will the engine now be scrap with the belt going or can it be repaired? is the garage liable for the repairs considering it was perfectly fine before hand and now goosed 6 miles after belt changes. I now wish I had just left it to chance as I'm 3k out of pocket as it stands atm and still need a/the van for work. Thanks
tintin8

Re: Please help!!! Info/advice needed. Transit connect

Postby Kenton » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:05 pm

So the belt was converted to a chain - right? Then you say the "belt snapped" :?: Apologies if I'm not following. If I am reading correctly, then something has gone horribly wrong and if it is because of their work, then they will be liable.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:29 pm

Kenton wrote:So the belt was converted to a chain - right? Then you say the "belt snapped" :?:

Presumably, it was the upper belt that failed, which is either due to fitting an inferior make, or poor fitting :?:

Either way, the garage are liable, unless the OP supplied the parts himself :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby tintin8 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:08 pm

Hi yes the top belt has failed after 6 mile, the bottom inner wet belt was swapped out for a chain replacement. And Yes I had to supply the parts due to needing to order the chain conversion kit.
tintin8

Postby Altransit » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:59 am

tintin8 wrote: And Yes I had to supply the parts due to needing to order the chain conversion kit.

Unfortunately, you're on a bit of a stickey wicket here, because the garage may blame the belt, and the supplier may blame the garage, so you could have a fight on your hands :(
All you can do is ask them both how you stand, and go from there.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:16 am

The chain conversion kit would have had in it a couple of extra bits ..a different tensioner bolt and some bits that are different to the wet belt set up ...if they used the old tensioner bolt then this is different and cant be used ..as one has a rounded end the other has a flat end. what im saying is: its not just a strait swap ..you need more than just the chain cassette and seals.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby tintin8 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:58 pm

Sorry for the delay- Yes the kit had everything needed to change over to the chain am I allowed to post the link of the kit on here?. I've been back to the garage and nothing has been done to the van still, I've had a look and the van and the casing of the belt cover was broken and the camshaft sprocket was loose and seems to have caused the casing of the cover to smash inline with where the sprocket is- surely this top sprocket shouldn't just come loose? I've watched a few YouTube videos that state to torque this to 50nm. Cheers
tintin8

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:23 pm

it's dead easy to snug the bolt and push tensioner into the right position ..and forget to tighten the tensioner bolt properly afterwards.

i ended up taking mine apart again from finished..because of this doubt , but mine was tight , so i didn't need to. that's me :oops:
Yes, 50 newtons

the top camshaft pulley would have been taken off to do the bottom chain ...this is not on a keyway ..and has to be tightened onto a taper.

watch Alan Howatts video ..that's the best there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l6-JUImJQw

alan does not show it ..but i think i would be using glue "bearing retainer glue" on that taper.

a similar thing as yours happened to my sister inlaws Renault, destroyed engine after mech replaced belt.. this was about 2 months later. when i looked that one up ..the sprockets are held on with Renault's own bearing retainer glue on those.

all the best.mark
Last edited by metalworker0 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby tintin8 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:36 pm

Yeah well it looks likely that that's been the cause of the problem to me, garage still saying he needs to take a look and see why it's happened however doesn't seem in any rush and without looking at it said its probably a faulty tensioner?? It Snapped a week ago and still sat in the same place. How long am I expected to wait and should he have liability insurance for this sort of thing? Need it back however extent of damage is still unknown and no timescale in place as yet.
tintin8

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:13 am

i don't know anything about liability ..my sister inlaw didn't have enough mechanical knowledge to question the bull crap that the mech came out with ..stopped me questioning him ..and that was the end of their £3000 car. they let it drop. I suppose she just gave in because she could not handle mentally what would have been maybe very drawn out procedure.

i think you should visit trading standards to see what your next move is .
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby tintin8 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:15 am

Ok mate ill have to look into that. Not a chance I'm letting it drop tho. Thanks
tintin8

Postby get connected » Fri May 20, 2022 5:58 am

What was the progress with this event?

Hoping it turned out good!
Keep a smile on your face at all times! The others think you know something that they don't !!!
get connected
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby lightning » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:18 am

lnterested in the outcome of this as well.

Sadly as so often happens the O/P hasn't been back since May to update their post.
lightning
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Boghopper » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:36 pm

Sadly as so often happens the O/P hasn't been back since May to update their post.

He probably had a breakdown after getting turned over so badly. Poor chap, some of the things that I read about are as ugly as it gets. Even a cheap belt should never have snapped at 6 miles. They didn't install it correctly but they are never going to concede to that.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect