*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Alternator

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Alternator

Postby ianmayco68 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:56 pm

Hi all, looking for some help , on odd occasions over the last 6 months the battery warning light comes on while driving, if you stop then turn her off then on it goes out . So I brought a new patch loom , but never got round to fitting it , then when I went over my dads yesterday the van seemed to cut out but the engine was still running and some of the dash warning lights lights flashed , only one I noticed was the glow plug light . Turned her off then on and she ran fine but it did happen again and at various points in my journey but there was no pattern to it .
My first thoughts were the alternator but from past experience you can never tend to drive very far before the car stops totally, so thought first stop replace the short loom from the alternator, but as others have found mine was one long loom , so cut about 150mm of the end and crimped some new terminals on took it for a 20 mile drive and it seems okay . What’s everyone’s thoughts ? Is the alternator on the way out ?
Which brings me to my next question, here’s some pics of my alternator,
41FA4E77-332A-41EE-A16E-D8B201A11B64.jpeg

98CC8731-D61E-4E0C-ABB5-D024FC99948D.jpeg

9E60931D-FE59-4410-BC60-9A08A1B755F3.jpeg

ED09131D-CA38-4ACF-9C7C-94F922FF24CC.jpeg

I’ve never seen this type before, is it a standard one or air con ? Even though mine doesn’t have aircon, I have found the front end part with the free wheel clutch , which I’ll buy but can only find alternators with the pulley attached or the air con type . Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ianmayco68
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Alternator

Postby blue estate » Sat May 21, 2022 1:01 pm

Get a meter and check the running voltage at battery first
Yours it the air con type , undo the 3 bolts and the coupling splits
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby ianmayco68 » Sat May 21, 2022 1:10 pm

Cheers blue estate, is it usual to fit these to none air con models?
ianmayco68
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ianmayco68 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:22 pm

Just put the meter across, got 14.5 volts across the terminals with engine running, but was wondering whether the alternator was breaking down under load .
ianmayco68
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby blue estate » Sat May 21, 2022 3:48 pm

ianmayco68 wrote:Just put the meter across, got 14.5 volts across the terminals with engine running, but was wondering whether the alternator was breaking down under load .

Have you checked all the earths are in good nick ?
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby ianmayco68 » Sat May 21, 2022 4:49 pm

Had all the earths in the engine bay off a while ago and cleaned them all up , all other earths I can see look fine .
ianmayco68
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kenton » Sat May 21, 2022 11:06 pm

Mine is the same setup as this, and I do have air con, which I dont understand why that would make any difference. I have replaced the alternator previously, but just presumed it was simply an odd setup, but has bugged me since as to the strange arrangement. Does anyone know exactly for why the alternator is installed this way?
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ianmayco68 » Sun May 22, 2022 9:21 am

Only thing I can think of is to incorporate the clutch , which I presume prevents the alternator burning out and prolongs the life of it . I’m starting to think that the clutch on mine might be on the way out , I did read somewhere they cause problems when they are about to go.
ianmayco68
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ianmayco68 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:53 pm

So took 150mm off the alternator wiring and it’s been okay all week till Tuesday night on the way home and it did it again then fine yesterday. I’d bought a new alternator and free wheel clutch so started fitting them today, did a bit of welding on her first as MOT next Friday, got all the bolts out bar one off the free wheel clutch and yes you guessed it, it’s the one at the top I’ve tried always to get a bolt removal socket on but access is nigh on impossible. Only solution I can see is remove the alternator bracket, can only see 2 bolts so question is can you remove them easily without stripping the engine down and are there only the 2 bolts or are there more hidden ? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Ian
ianmayco68
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect