*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Parasitic battery drain

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Parasitic battery drain

Postby stevewes » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:12 pm

Hi all,

I have an odd electrical issue with a 2007 Transit Connect. The battery has been going flat when the van is left parked up for anything over a few days. I disconnected the battery earth lead and put an ammeter between the lead and the battery terminal and discovered there was a 300mA drain with everything turned off. I started pulling fuses one by one in the central fuse box (behind the glovebox) and discovered the 7.5A fuse labelled F48 (see picture) was the cause of the drain - when this fuse was pulled, the current shown on the ammeter drops to zero. When the fuse is inserted / removed, I can hear a relay clicking somewhere behind the fuse box (none of the relay sockets above the fuses appear to be occupied). The fuse appears to control the aircon and air recycling buttons (these buttons won't light up when the fuse is removed).

I've looked for further info to determine which fuse controls what and there are clearly many layouts of fusebox over the years - the fuses don't even seem to have any relation to the sticker on the back of the glovebox.

Can anyone confirm what circuits this fuse controls, and whether a clicking relay as the fuse is inserted / removed is normal?

TIA

CentralFuseBoxF48.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevewes

Re: Parasitic battery drain

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:44 pm

Done a quick search and 7.5A fuse labelled F48 is central locking and instrument cluster.
i recon the wear area for this would be the the short armoured conduits going to the doors , that would be back doors each side and driver and passenger door. don't know about sliding door as i don't have one.

FIRST - Might even be a faulty relay ..is there one you can swap for it .

There is also some timed circuitry that puts the instrument lights on for 5 mins after you've locked it up on certain models ..that can malfunction .. nobody has resolved this -- this I've read happens in the mk7 plus focus .

That's as much help as i can give ..there are a couple of posts here with the same problem as you, that were unresolved.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby stevewes » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. I too found a list which suggested F48 was the central locking, but the locking is still working with fuse F48 removed - it seems that this fuse is controlling the air conditioning, which is why I said I assumed there have been changes to the layout over the years. I don;t know what (if anything) is controlled on this circuit.
stevewes

Postby John235 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:14 am

I have found in the past that the fusebox in the Connect bears very little resemblance to the owners handbook. The versions I have seen are not even the same size!
I am going to try attaching the layout I produced a while ago, it may help.
I have also checked the Haynes book. In it, the only mention of F48 says that it feeds the instrument cluster, but no further details!
I guess you could try leaving the fuse out for a couple of days, and see if you then notice something not working!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John235
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bortaf » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:13 pm

Fords of thise era are pretty well know to have dash cluster issues, usually requiring reflowing the solder on all the joints on the back of the cluster, could it be this ?
Mine was the same but i couldn't be arsed with all that soldering so i fitted an ign fired relay to the constant live to the dash, C/L still works as does radio memory but i loose trip and clock every time i turn the ign off and the cluster takes a few seconds to start working every time, other tahn that it's been fine for the last 3 years like it :wink:
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect