*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil in the intercooler. How much is too much.

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Oil in the intercooler. How much is too much.

Postby 777Rav » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:32 pm

Whilst trying to resolve another issue I’ve had the intercooler and associated pipe work off of my 04 Tddi Connect. There seems to be a fair amount of oil in the pipe work. The van doesn’t smoke at all apart from a bit of a puff on startup. I’m just wondering if this is “normal”. I realise the crank breather is entering the intake tract so that’ll be chucking some in I’m sure but given I’m new to diesels I’m wondering what is acceptable and what is not. Does anyone have totally clean pipe work when they disconnect their intercooler……….?

Thanks.
777Rav
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Oil in the intercooler. How much is too much.

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:55 pm

Mine had about 1./2 a cup full ..i took everything off including the intercooler and washed it all out .
its something to do with any engine that has a turbo, they all do this , so ive read .
The only cure is to put in place on the breather a device called a "catch can"

just put "catch can" into youtube ..and you'll see how they work , why they work ..and how many cars/ vans are effected and why you should fit one .

basically the excess oil leads up to a lot of other things like blocked malfunctioning EGR ..heavy carbon deposits in the inlet tract and on the back of the valves. restricted engine.
walnut blasting has to be done to remove the build up

Ive seen many videos of spray products in cans, claim to remove this gunge ..don't be deceived by them ...they don't work well enough....not even 10 percent is removed .

al the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 777Rav » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:40 am

Thanks Mark,

I’ve had cars with turbos in the past but all petrol. None ever had any oil (or certainly minimal) in the intake. One did have a catch can on which is something I’d considered for the van.
777Rav
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:29 pm

Have a look at used inlet manifolds and heads for connect on ebay and you'll see how much crap builds up in them .

Yes, diesels will have a bigger problem because they are a bit dirtier than petrol and i suppose the higher compression will mean higher blow-by pressure than petrol.

Don't know what the mileage is; that it can have a major effect on the running, because of build up ..but when you have to take the manifold off ..it isn't going to come off easily ..because the exhaust manifold has to come off as well ..along with the studs that you will break.
i'm planning on doing this crud removal job in April 2023 on my 135,000 mile connect

all the best...mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect