*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How do you replace the wheel studs on rear drum brakes?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

How do you replace the wheel studs on rear drum brakes?

Postby SandyHenderson » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:45 pm

So my brothers high top connect 09 plate has been having issues with the wheel nuts. He's had to replace several of them and had a garage replace some of the studs that the nuts attach to. However he wants to attempt to replace another one himself although he can't find much info online or in the Haynes manual for how to do them on the rear (drum brakes). Anyone able to give some input?
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: How do you replace the wheel studs on rear drum brakes?

Postby blue estate » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:59 pm

Take hub nut cover off , slacken but don’t undo hub nut it yet ,
Jack rear up release handbrake and slacken adjuster off
Undo hub nut and drum ,stud and bearing ass should come off
Knock out offending stud
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:56 pm

Some info: Just in case, this is the route cause of the problem ..as it seems odd that you need to replace the studs.
Ford nuts have chrome covers, the steel nuts underneath sometimes swell with corrosion - distorting the covers ..and then you cant get the socket on them ..Sometimes the covers fall off requiring a different size socket . - That's one problem

The other problem is:
If the vehicle has been converted from steel wheels to alloy
Then the original nuts and studs are unsuitable ...as the alloy wheel is much thicker ..and you'll only get a about 3 threads to engage on the old steel wheel stud.
This problem is made worse as the original ford nuts do not have threads going all the way to the end .
Alloy wheels require longer studs
I got around this problem ..by buying aftermarket non ford nuts that had the threads going all the way, they work well...but really i need to replace the studs with longer ones.

What ever you do ..DO NOT RUN ALLOY WHEELS WITH OLD STEEL WHEEL STUDS AND OLD FORD STEEL WHEEL NUTS - its dangerous and highly likely that nuts will come loose.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby kev m » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:13 pm

hi Mark, i have just started a thread with the very same problem old steel wheel nuts with alloy wheels and i nearly ended up loosing a wheel on the motorway at weekend the van was already like this when i got it and i was unaware of any potential problems, is there any chance you could put a link up for me to look at so i can see what type of nuts i need for my van ?
cheers kev
kev m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kev m » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:16 pm

What ever you do ..DO NOT RUN ALLOY WHEELS WITH OLD STEEL WHEEL STUDS AND OLD FORD STEEL WHEEL NUTS - its dangerous and highly likely that nuts will come loose.

hi Mark, i have just started a thread with the very same problem old steel wheel nuts with alloy wheels and i nearly ended up loosing a wheel on the motorway at weekend the van was already like this when i got it and i was unaware of any potential problems, is there any chance you could put a link up for me to look at so i can see what type of nuts i need for my van ?
cheers kev[/quote]
kev m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:45 pm

kev m wrote:What ever you do ..DO NOT RUN ALLOY WHEELS WITH OLD STEEL WHEEL STUDS AND OLD FORD STEEL WHEEL NUTS - its dangerous and highly likely that nuts will come loose.

cheers kev
[/quote]

answer is on your new thread

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby kev m » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:41 pm

cheers buddy!
kev
kev m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect