*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Strange fault...

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Strange fault...

Postby DevonMike » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a strange fault, which seems to have temporally fixed its self...

Bear with me here...

Ive owned my connect TDDI for nearly 4 months now, since buying the van, ive replaced :-
The vacuum pump
Glow plugs
Timing bet and tensioner
Water pump
Alternator belt (and pulleys)
Throttle pedal
And ive fully services the van using Bosch filters.
Home made EGR blanking plate
ive also run Wynns Gold fuel treatment...

Moving onto the strange fault...
About a week ago i noticed a loss of power and some surging and slightly lumpy idle, but this only seemed to happen when the engine was at normal running temp, so I scanned the ECU and found 2 codes P0149 and P1564 no matter how many times i deleted them, they kept coming back. Because I need the van to get me to and from work ive continued to drive it, but it seemed to deteriorate, and i had to be super light on the throttle pedal were talking 2000 RPM otherwise the van would kangaroo down the road.

Today I fitted the EGR blank and took the van for a test drive, low and behold the fault explained above reared its ugly head, but this time the engine cut out and i was unable to restart, so my Dad came out and towed me home.

whilst back at home i checked all the connections and plugs i could find, i also check the relays and fuses were present, I tried to start the van again, this time i used a generous squirt of easy start, the engine seemed to run on the easy start initially, then caught up and ran normally...

Now here is the weird part...

i scanned the ECU again and the 2 above code never returned, so I took the van for a road test, and it drove perfectly, so i left it idling outside my house, checked the live data, scanned for codes again, but those codes never returned...

Tomorrow might be a totally different story...

Probably unrelated but when i got the van, the fuel gauge as super slow, it would take hours to register a full tank, so i put in some Wynns Gold treatment, and that must have cleaned the fuel system, as the gauge now works again, could there have been a build up if dirt, due to neglect, which has clogged my new diesel filter...?
DevonMike
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Strange fault...

Postby Altransit » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:46 pm

I'm not sure that it's the answer to all of your problems, but P0149 & P1564 are pump codes normally relating to the timing solenoid within the pump, which could account for the rough running.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby DevonMike » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:55 pm

Altransit wrote:I'm not sure that it's the answer to all of your problems, but P0149 & P1564 are pump codes normally relating to the timing solenoid within the pump, which could account for the rough running.

Thanks for your reply...

Cor that solenoid is exspensive, the cheapest ive found on eBay was £160...

But yeah I agree those codes point to the solenoid, I was even suspecting the EDU...
DevonMike
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby DevonMike » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:20 pm

I thought I'd post an update...

Today I went out to the van, it started and drove absolutely fine...

Now I'm wondering if its a wiring fault within the engine loom, I've pushed and prodded fuses, swapped relays, relocated plastic harness clips, pushed and prodded multiple plugs...

Or maybe it was the use of the easy start...

Either way something has changed, which is a mystery, I can certainly say I don't like faults like this, as I'd prefer to fix them, rather that them disappear to rear their ugly head later on...
DevonMike
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby DevonMike » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:04 pm

The fault is back with a vengeance...

P0149 and P1564 are back, now their accompanied with not revving over 2k RPM and clouds of unburnt diesel...

Swith the engine off and restart, it will rev fine, allow it to idle for a while and the no revving and smoke starts...

I know nobody has a magic wand or crystal ball, to definitely tell me what and where the problem lies...

Today I checked the wiring between the pump and the ECU, I had continuity through all six of the wires...

Is there a way I can check the timing solenoid whilst is still fitted to the pump...??
DevonMike
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby DevonMike » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:23 pm

Yet another update...

I've just drained a WHOLE filter full of water...

Just drove the van back from work, all was good....
DevonMike
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Kenton » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:05 pm

Fuel filter?? :shock:
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DevonMike » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:28 am

From what I'm starting to understand about those 2 codes, it seems to revolve around fuel delivery...

Seeing the fuel filter was full to the brim with water, there was little space for any diesel (obviously floating on top of the water), so that being said leaves not alot of fuel in the filter, I'm sure the filter is the size it is to act as a reservoir for when you crack the throttle open, the pump gets the fuel its demanding, and when (iny case) the pump doesn't get enough fuel, it throws those faults up because of the reduced fuel...
DevonMike
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby DevonMike » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:11 pm

Update...

I've changed the diesel filter for a new Bosch one from Euro Car parts 0450 906 357 this filter hasn't got a drain on the bottom but for £7.49 ohh well... ( 0450 906 407 with the drain )

I drained the old filter, and the fuel came out literally black, so I'm guessing the filter was also blocked.

Up to now the van is running fine again...
DevonMike
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Connect