*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

CEL on: EGR 'A' control circuit high

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

CEL on: EGR 'A' control circuit high

Postby Almo » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:01 am

Hi guys, my CEL came on recently and stays on solidly. Got it scanned and the above code came up. Looking at the EGR valve for the first time ever lol, it appears a previous owner has blanked it off with a plate. At the time he/she did that would they not have had to have done something to prevent the CEL coming on? And if the system is disabled then what could have changed to activate the CEL now. I've had the van for 4 years and its running as per normal.
Thanks in advance for any wise words. :D
Almo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: CEL on: EGR 'A' control circuit high

Postby Almo » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:26 am

Back again... So today I pulled the EGR assembly apart and all is well and clean inside as you would expect due to being blanked off. The electric motor spindle and toothed gear turn freely and smoothly and so does the valve  actuator (correct name?)that the motor spindle slips over. So mechanically all seems well so now I'm suspecting its electrical. 

I started the engine when i had it apart (its been blanked off remember) and got my buddy to watch the EGR motor spindle and it didnt move once, same when I gave it some revs. So is that a fair test to prove that its not working? I have a multi meter but I'm not sure how to test the connector lead that goes to the motor for power? Or is there a resistance value I should look for across the terminals of the motors plug? There's nothing in my Haynes manual on how to test the EGR.

All I'm trying to achieve  here is to get the Check Engine Light off. 

Thanks for any advice offered.
Almo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Almo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:32 am

Back again guys.... So I ended up replacing the stepper motor then got my friend to clear the historical error code. The light stayed off for about the first 3 trips around town then came back on again. It's been back on pretty much all the time since apart from one morning I started it up and it was off but came on within the first 10 miles. Today I got my friend to scan it again and its the same code as before - P0490 EXHAUST GAS RETICULATION 'A' CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH.

Does anyone know what this code actually means? What's the 'A' control circuit?

TIA.
Almo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:56 pm

I've read that some blanking plates have a small hole in them to prevent this happening ..perhaps this holes become blocked.

like so :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110901472743?

all the best.....mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Almo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:31 pm

metalworker0 wrote:I've read that some blanking plates have a small hole in them to prevent this happening ..perhaps this holes become blocked.

like so :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110901472743?

all the best.....mark

Thanks for the link Mark. I will pull my restrictor plate and see if it has a hole and what state its in. Cheers.
Almo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:01 am

what he's saying in the write up in his description, looks like if you find a plate in there that has no hole ..then you need the one with a hole .

Thanks for looking.
This is made from Laser cut 1.5 Stainless Steel. It has a hole so as not to have the engine management light (EML), though it will rarely come on when fully block on any of the 1.8 Linx engines. So would rather restrict, not block, so there is still some EGR function. I do have it without a hole if you would rather, it is item number https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121106889703 but there is a slim chance the EML may come on when fitted. It has been rumbled to make it smooth and give it an abraded surface that also helps give a better seal, plus removes all sharp edges.
It gives a cleaner pick up at lower revs because it stops exhaust gas being recycled. If the EGR valve is playing up, then the improvement can be quit dramatic
Easy to fit, just loosen the 2 bolts, slip in the plate between the inlet manifold and the gasket, then tighten up the bolts.

This fits the Motorized operated EGR valve type pictured above in the header pictures only, so please check before buying as the years will cross over with the vacuum operated one's, which I do have listed as item number https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111054841082. The Euro 3 and 4 are also different sizes, so are not interchangeable.
Vacuum valve = Euro3 and is item number https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110898426952

This plate fits the Euro4 Motorized valve in FORD 1.8 TDCi

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Almo » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:02 pm

metalworker0 wrote:what he's saying in the write up in his description, looks like if you find a plate in there that has no hole ..then you need the one with a hole .

Yeah I read that. The thing is the light has only come on now after 5 years of ownership and I havent changed the plate in any way. But I will have a look at it all the same.
Almo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby NC53 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:12 pm

We’ve got exactly the same problem so I’d be interested in knowing what the answer is if you find out.

We found that fitting the blanking plate (with or without hole) mace no difference whatsoever.
NC53
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect