*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Trying to remove intercooler but can't!?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Trying to remove intercooler but can't!?

Postby SandyHenderson » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:33 pm

I was so confident in removing it and cleaning it but looks like I'm just gonna run this van into the ground now. It's becoming a giant pain to maintain and now I can't remove these bolts. Rust rust rust!!!

How on earth does a novice remove these? They're just spinning and not gripping. Is it a sign just to sell this junk?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Trying to remove intercooler but can't!?

Postby SandyHenderson » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:14 pm

Went to my mechanic who told me not to bother with it as it'll just fill back up with diesel in an hour and is a pointless job. So I'll take his word, planning on getting rid of the van in the next year or two anyway so time saved :D
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:06 pm

Well thats a bad mechanic ..fll up with diesel ..whats he on about

Anyway ..here's how i did it ..same problem as yours .. some will snap off ..some will not...so just go with the flow ..let them snap and some will have to be drilled out, tackle the snapped ones, once the intercooler is off and out of the way.

Can't heat them ..that would melt the plastic ..can't weld nut onto them for the same reason ......can't get angle grinder to them as they are in a recess.

so I drilled them out, you have to drill right down the centre of them then use a larger drill to remove the rest of the head.

Then you're left with just a stud ..this would not budge with mole grips ..had to heat it up with a blow torch, then it unscrewed with the mole grips. (Last pic shows one of the busted ones and not the one i worked on in the first few pics...that was busted a long before i had it .

stainless steel bolts were be put in their place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:18 pm

note , dont use multipoint sockets use a hexagon one ..better still use one that grips on the flats like so ...below ..note the design ..with this one it will not /should not round the corners off .
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect