*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2005 transit connect starter motor change

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2005 transit connect starter motor change

Postby Cliffh » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:04 am

Hi

I'm a complete novice trying to swap a transit connect starter motor. First of all I'm having problems removing the wiring to the solenoid. Finding it really difficult to access the 13mm nut because of the location of the alternator. Also can't remove the starter motor with the cabling attached because the alternator stops me moving starter motor back enough to get it out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Cliff
Cliffh

Re: 2005 transit connect starter motor change

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:29 pm

Disconnect battery first

Then watch some youtube videos

You've not stated year , diesel , petrol etc

So no one will help until you do .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Altransit » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:04 am

metalworker0 wrote:You've not stated year , diesel , petrol etc

2005 as stated in the title, so it's a Mk1 with a 1.8 diesel engine, I don't believe that they make a petrol variant as standard :?

As I recall (I've only ever changed one on a Connect) the SM needs to be changed from underneath, you need to raise the front, obviously, but I don't remember having to remove anything else to take it out. It was a bit fiddly as there's not a lot of space, but no special tools were needed.
As per the good advice above, make sure that you disconnect the battery earth connector first :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby TwoWheelsBetter » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:54 pm

Hi Cliffh,

Did you find a solution to this? I have the same problem on my 2006 MkII, 110CV with aircon. The videos I've seen are of models with the alternator in a different position. As you said, the 13mm nut is inaccessible to normal tools because of the plastic cover over the connector and the plastic guard over the end of the alternator. I'm really hoping that the alternator doesn't need to be moved first.

I'm going to have another look now. I'll try to get photos, in case that helps others see they problem. Also wondering if the cable can be removed at the other end.
TwoWheelsBetter

Postby TwoWheelsBetter » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:15 pm

Sorted! The solution is just to be a forceful with the plastic surround of the nut, and use a short, cranked ring spanner if available. A socket will not fit in between the nut and the plastic guard on the alternator.

For reference, my engine code is RWPA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TwoWheelsBetter

Return to Transit Connect