*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Wheel grind on calipers when turning & breaking. Bearings?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Wheel grind on calipers when turning & breaking. Bearings?

Postby Timelourd » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:49 am

Edit: I moved this post to "general" since it's not connect specific.

So in my MK1 connect, my inner wheel is grinding against my brake calipers when breaking hard or turning extremely, which would lead me to suspect the bearings are bad but I've got the hub off and the bearings feel smooth as butter.

I've replaced the drive shaft, the drop links, the ball joint and the track rod end.

The only other culprits are brake pads - they look okay but are worn down to 1/2" on the back, but about 1/4" on the front.

Other than that, the track rod end might have put the alignment off, but I'm not sure if that would make inner wheel scrape against the caliper.

It's it possible my bearings are bad despite being perfectly smooth spinning when the wheel is off?
Last edited by Timelourd on Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 2.5di MK5 Banana Engine
Timelourd
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Wheel grind on calipers when turning & breaking. Bearing

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:37 pm

The fact that one pad is half the thickness of the other suggests to me that you have a binding problem - that's if you mean back pad and front pad on same caliper.
If this is so ..you need to take it apart ..remove rust on the sliding surfaces and grease the pins with the appropriate high temperature grease and think about replacing the pads as 1/4 inch is coming up to nearly done. have a look at the state of the discs whilst you are there .........because if pads are worn like so, one side of the disc will almost certainly be quite rusty and pitted or scored.

You could also have a caliper piston seizing problem, due to the brake fluid never being changed and fluid has become contaminated with water absorbed over time, which may have caused rust internally .......the only recommended solution to that is to replace the caliper.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Wheel grind on calipers when turning & breaking. Bearing

Postby LostinTransit » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:00 pm

1) Was the wheels upgraded to a different size or different offset?
2) Are the rotors the correct width necessary for your van?
3) Did the mech install the brake pads on both sides of the rotor between the calipers?
4) Was the brake fluid flushed and filled with the correct fluid? DOT3 etc
5) Are the Brake hinge pins mounted correct back onto the calipers?
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect