*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Strange noise when pulling away, intermittent?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Strange noise when pulling away, intermittent?

Postby Ripp » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:16 am

'17 Connect Limited SWB.

I've noticed an odd noise when pulling away sometimes, i can hear it for just a second then it goes away. It's hard to describe but it sounds like the noise you get when you drag a wooden dining chair across a tiled floor, you'll either know what that sounds like or you won't, it's definitely a distinct type of noise.

I've tried holding the handbrake and loading the clutch and it doesn't seem to do it then but I can't rule that out completely because the noise is so intermittent that I can't be sure. If I listen really hard while driving there's a slight possibility I can hear a wheel bearing whirring sounds but I may be imagining that, I've never heard a wheel bearing make that weird sound anyway and also I can't feel any play in the wheels if I shake them by hand.

Currently it's too intermittent for me to be able to replicate so I'm stumped currently. All I'm fairly sure of is that it's coming from the front somewhere.
Ripp
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Strange noise when pulling away, intermittent?

Postby highroof » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:17 am

My 2018 does this I think. If it's as your pulling away and releasing the clutch, it's called clutch howl. It's not a big deal and nothing to worry about. My mate has a 2017 and his is the same. Mileage doesn't seem to matter. His has twice the miles mine has.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ripp » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:57 am

highroof wrote:My 2018 does this I think. If it's as your pulling away and releasing the clutch, it's called clutch howl. It's not a big deal and nothing to worry about. My mate has a 2017 and his is the same. Mileage doesn't seem to matter. His has twice the miles mine has.

Well it's not done it for 5 days now so I've not been able to pin down exactly when it's doing it so cant be sure. Hopefully it's something like that then that isn't anything to worry about.
Ripp
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:32 pm

Ripp wrote:
highroof wrote:My 2018 does this I think. If it's as your pulling away and releasing the clutch, it's called clutch howl. It's not a big deal and nothing to worry about. My mate has a 2017 and his is the same. Mileage doesn't seem to matter. His has twice the miles mine has.

Well it's not done it for 5 days now so I've not been able to pin down exactly when it's doing it so cant be sure. Hopefully it's something like that then that isn't anything to worry about.

Yeah, mine's intermittent. I forget about it, then it reminds me. Generally only happens when cold.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:22 am

Sounds like belt squeal to me ..but usually serpentine belts don't do it ..just the old fashioned fan belts ..but there is a chance that your belts so bad that its doing it ..check the auxiliary belts condition ..check the tensioner is working. could also be the tensioners bearing or the water pump on its way out or the alternator bearings.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Ripp » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:52 am

metalworker0 wrote:Sounds like belt squeal to me ..but usually serpentine belts don't do it ..just the old fashioned fan belts ..but there is a chance that your belts so bad that its doing it ..check the auxiliary belts condition ..check the tensioner is working. could also be the tensioners bearing or the water pump on its way out or the alternator bearings.

all the best.mark

I'll take a look, thanks.
Ripp
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:50 pm

If you want to test the belts and alternator, turn everything on when you start from cold. Heated seats, screen heater, lights, everything that will put strain on the system. Any noises from the alternator or belts will be more likely to make themselves apparent under load. Don't put the air con or heaters on though, you won't be able to hear what you're listening for.

The only untoward noise mine has displayed other than the clutch noise was on the day I bought it, when the belt tensioner bearing became noisy on the drive home. More than likely due to the vendor jetwashing the engine in freezing December, not driving it afterwards and leaving it to stand outside until I purchased it in Feb. A very different noise to the one described in the op though.

I still think it's the clutch, and nothing to do with belts or alternator bearings, but better to eliminate than assume. However, the fact that the description more or less exactly matches two other vans symptoms I know of makes me fairly sure I'm right. Good luck with it.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ripp » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:19 am

highroof wrote:If you want to test the belts and alternator, turn everything on when you start from cold. Heated seats, screen heater, lights, everything that will put strain on the system. Any noises from the alternator or belts will be more likely to make themselves apparent under load. Don't put the air con or heaters on though, you won't be able to hear what you're listening for.

The only untoward noise mine has displayed other than the clutch noise was on the day I bought it, when the belt tensioner bearing became noisy on the drive home. More than likely due to the vendor jetwashing the engine in freezing December, not driving it afterwards and leaving it to stand outside until I purchased it in Feb. A very different noise to the one described in the op though.

I still think it's the clutch, and nothing to do with belts or alternator bearings, but better to eliminate than assume. However, the fact that the description more or less exactly matches two other vans symptoms I know of makes me fairly sure I'm right. Good luck with it.

Will do thank you!
Ripp
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Msbeddoes » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:41 pm

Hi did you ever get to the bottom of this. I have the exact same noise and it’s getting louder now. Had it about 6 months now and have no clue what it is. Mines a Ford transit connect 1.6 15 plate 63k
Msbeddoes

Return to Transit Connect