*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Crankshaft not fully turning

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Crankshaft not fully turning

Postby ponameritech » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:19 am

I have a 2012 connect. Foolish of me for trying to use the crank timing locking pin to lock while I'm unbolting the crankshaft pulley bolt. After replacing the timing cover i cannot turn the crankshaft pulley 360 degrees anymore. It will stop after about 180 degree. Anyone suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
ponameritech

Re: Crankshaft not fully turning

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:52 am

Well you don't say what task you were performing ..did you change the timing chain or wetbelt or just seals ..
if wetbelt or chain ..you need to go all the way back to the beginning ..and do the procedure as to book .

There are some very good videos on youtube by Alan Howatt.

Start with these ..you will not get a better explanation than what Alan gives

it's the be all, end all definitive guide....and possibly no one in this forum can explain any better than Alan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l6-JUImJQw&t=1177s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goxwu9EzjiY

all the best...mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ponameritech » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:19 pm

Thank you Metaleworker0. I just replaced the timing cover due to broken motor mount bracket and water pump. I didn't touch any of the timing chain components. It's 2012 2.0l US not sure if that makes a difference.
ponameritech

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:23 pm

ponameritech wrote:Thank you Metaleworker0. I just replaced the timing cover due to broken motor mount bracket and water pump. I didn't touch any of the timing chain components. It's 2012 2.0l US not sure if that makes a difference.

Is that a petrol / gasoline engine,
Sorry, if so, not sure you are going to get much help. due to lack of knowledge about them here.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:48 pm

Guessing here - Keyless crank: worse case scenario - think the pulley is held on by taper only ..and also holds on the timing gears underneath that are also on taper only..no keys
So you loosened that nut and it loosened the lot .
So you've lost your timing. you have a valve or valves now touching the pistons

You need to act as if your going to replace the timing chain and start from scratch.

Hope you did not start it .

you have tighten the nut with the locking pin in place..if you didnt ..then its good bye timing

Or
the pin you locked it with has broken off and is jamming against something.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ponameritech » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:54 pm

It's gasoline. Thank you for your advise. I will start over from scratch. Yes there are no keys on sprockets. All timing sprocket and chain we're attached so timing should be correct. The locking pin didn't break but i definitely saw a mark where it contacted the crankshaft counter weight. That's what i believe the pin is lock into. I'm hoping no bent valves. Thanks again we'll let you know what i find.
ponameritech

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:32 pm

Should be a hole in the counter weight that the pin goes into ..you dont take that nut(bolt) off until you've set your engine in a position whereby you can get the pin to enter the hole in the counterweight. sprockets on camshafts and dots or lines or chain links will st up to line up with marks .....that's when you do it properly... NOTE: you are now in a different situation..you must think out how to get that bolt back off without buggering the engine.

When putting it back together that nut needs to be really tight (is it a nut ..because i read also ..its a bolt that needs to be replaced every time) if so, its whats known as a "stretch bolt" ONE USE ONLY
TIGHTENING - Some places ive read ......100nm then 90 degrees
...some other places said 100nm then 90 degrees..weight a few seconds then 15 degrees.

You'll have to look for the whole genuine ford description of replacing the timing chain ..my info i found was for the 1.6...

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ponameritech » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:13 am

Worst scenario is confirmed. Bent valve. You are correct metal worker. No keys at all for any of the timing gears. If you dont lock both crankshaft and camshaft, your asking for problems.
I just used the crankshaft locking pin only to lock it inTDC but didnt use the camshaft locking plate.
Lesson learned. Now time to replace the cylinder head. Fun. Thank you for the advice.
ponameritech

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:08 pm

And the latest News is that they have to be assembled with special crush washers that are diamond coated.
So don't omit that when rebuilding!

All the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect