*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Courier MAF air flow sensor CODE help!!??

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Transit Courier MAF air flow sensor CODE help!!??

Postby TransitG123 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:22 pm

Hi all, 

Im desperately seeking help/advice on my 2015 Transit Courier 1.5 Tdci on 80,000miles . Several weeks ago the engine management light came on whilst driving. The van still drives fine with no symptoms at all....I took the van to my friends garage. He plugged it in and it came up as a MAF air flow sensor code. He replaced the sensor reset the EML and i collected the van. The next day the EML came back on! Same code! I took the van back, we decided to get another sensor just incase this one was faulty. He replaced it again and i drove away. The next day the light came back on again! I took the van back a third time, from this my friend removed all of the hoses etc checked for any air leaks, checked the air filter and tested all of the wiring plugs to the sensor etc all seemed fine. There was apparently another sensor on the system that he removed and cleaned just incase, although this one was not what the code was relating to. Put it all back together, reset the codes, test drove it and all was ok. The next day (you guessed it) The light came back on!!

This time i took the van to Ford Main Dealer - They diagnosed it as a clogged DPF causing the MAF sensor to trigger. Ford wanted 2.5k to replace this. So i went back to my friends garage, who replaced the DPF for just under a grand. I got the van back and tried again.....

2 days later.. THE EML LIGHT CAME BACK ON!!!! I went back to ford after their diagnoses to show them that the DPF had been replaced and still this had not solved the issue. Ford had the van for a couple of days. On collection they told me that they had also replaced the MAF sensor again just incase the other one wasn't genuine but the Code was still there! They then advised me from the diagnostic that the EGR valve is not working correctly and needs replacing... That's what causing the MAF sensor to trigger and that's what clogged up the DPF....

I take the van back to my friends garage and have the EGR valve replaced. He confirms it wasn't in great condition on removal. That the light is now off and the van is good to go...

2 days later......... THE LIGHT COMES BACK ON!!!!!! Ford have no answers, they just keep advising me to spend thousands on parts that don't cure it. The guys at my friends garage have no more ideas. Can anyone help with this one???
TransitG123

Re: Transit Courier MAF air flow sensor CODE help!!??

Postby LostinTransit » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:06 am

Reading your comments doesn't suggest that anyone actually cleared the error code. If it hasn't been cleared it needs to be. Plus when one makes these types of adjustment or replacements, it is suggested that one disconnect the battery.. often doing this one can reset the system. But the code still needs to be cleared.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby TransitG123 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:01 am

Surely every time it went to Ford on diagnostics they would have done this? I just assume the error code was cleared each time I collected the van, because the light was off, and took some time to come back on - usually 1-2days later...
TransitG123

Postby LostinTransit » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:12 am

Not sure how particular your shop is while handing these types of parts. Plus spraying a mass air sensor cleaner can help. But once the area around the sensor has been contaminated it needs to be replaced. I would however, check to see if the wiring harness has been damaged. Mice, rodents tend to eat these cable/wiring on cars/trucks with soy product coatings. In fact 2 months ago I got the same code and I was able to remove the sensor, spray the sensor cleaner on and in other openings. Some are saying because aftermarket air filters like the K&N needs an oil based spray lube sprayed onto the filter during the cleaning of the filter. If one does not allow the filter to set before installing back in the intake system. the sensors and other parts of the air flow can become contaminated. As for the resetting the error code.. not all shops do this nor do all shops disconnect the battery during these installs. Using a performance air intake? then this could also send a code.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Frag » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:57 pm

Check the base engine timing.
Frag
Ford Technician

Return to Transit Connect