*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gear linkage stuck

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Ford transit connect 1.8 2012 gearstick stuck

Postby Gurfin888 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:41 pm

Hi. My ford transit connect 1.8 2012 wont go out of gear. It is stuck in third gear. The linkage cables are stiff and cant be moved. And when i try to start the car and let out the clutch the car lightly moves forward but it doesnt move at all. Any ideas? The clutch ias rubbish I guess but what about the transmission
Gurfin888

Gear linkage stuck

Postby Gurfin888 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:46 pm

My ford transit connect 1.8 2012 gear linkage is stuck, it wont move at all. The stick is stuck in third gear. When I start the car and let out the clutch the car slightly forward but when fulle engaged nothing happens, except slight rattling? I’m pretty sure rhe clutch is rubbish but what about the linkage??
Gurfin888

Re: Gear linkage stuck

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:58 pm

hard to tell from your explanation - it looks like the clutch has gone to me or the clutch slave cylinder ...gearbox out what ever of the two it is.

if the clutch has gone ..it should still go into all gears with the engine running and- front wheels off the ground.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Gurfin888 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:14 am

The clutch has pressure so its not master or slave cylinder. I cant change gear… is the transmission sh*t?
Gurfin888

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:03 pm

if the clutch plate or pressure plate has disintegrated or bust , then it will be like changing gear without a clutch pressed in...which is why i said raise it up off the wheels, and with the engine running try the gears..they will be hard to push into gear ...but you should have all of them ...if they still will not go in .. then you have gearbox problems. I'm sort of eliminating things first. which is all i can advice, as i cant really sit in the van and find out myself. this is long distance diagnostics.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Gurfin888 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:48 pm

Oh okey! Sorry for misunderstanding your first post. I will try and lift the front wheels and start the engine to try and disengage the clutch and see if the gear stick will move to neutral. Otherwise I will be looking at replacing the transmission. Thanks again!!
Gurfin888

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:33 pm

The next step if it will not go into gear ..is to look at the gearbox linkage ..you can look at the top of the gearbox view from top of engine compartment and down below whist chocked up to see if anything wrong there..next you are pulling the linkage apart in the cabin , believe there is something that busts or gets misplaced just below the gear lever . from memory or the cables have seized or come off , worn out the on the what ford call clamps ..sort of swivel joint that are on the end of cables.

usfull pics

https://ford.7zap.com/en/transport/121/ ... 224/84406/

https://ford.7zap.com/en/transport/121/ ... 224/84407/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect