*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

diesel cleaner

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

diesel cleaner

Postby advance » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:16 am

hi guys
18 tdci 90 ps whats the best fuel cleaner to use???or shouldnt i???
The opinions expressed here are of the poster
Opinions may go down as well as up.
Opinions may be recorded for security and staff training purposes
Your home may be at risk if you take any notice of the rubbish printed
CONNECTTDCI+boxer120+120lxmk7
advance
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: diesel cleaner

Postby Grizzle » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:45 am

Just ordered some Miller Diesel sport plus.

hopefully that and a tank of decent V power will cure its thirst lol
Grizzle
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby frogsuk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:45 am

I use MILLERS OIL - DIESEL POWER SPORT 4 which is a highly efficient fuel treatment to add to diesel fuel to enhance combustion and performance. Added to diesel fuel to provide an increase in cetane number and to maintain injector cleanliness. Also contains a fuel pump lubricant enhancer. 1ml treats 1 liter of diesel fuel and improves combustion leading to higher power output and reduced fuel consumption. It also helps Prolongs fuel pump life even when running on low sulphur fuel. (I buy mine in 5 liters containers which treats 5000 liters)

But if you want to clean your injectors 1st then use something like TEC 2000 for Diesel injectors (eBay Search)
Procedure to do DIY is:
1. Fit new fuel filter (you don't want to clean the crud from your fuel filter into the rest of your engine fuel system)
2. Use a syringe (I got a 60ml one from my local vet for £0.50) to transfer the contents from your TEC 2000 tin or similar to the new fuel filter.
3. Remove the fuel leak off pipe (the smaller one from it's connection to the steel pipe located near the engine bulkhead)
4. Remove the fuel inlet pipe from the filter (The big one that comes from the fuel tank). No fuel will come out of this when you start the engine.
5. Slide a suitable sized piece of flexible fuel pipe (Approx 3cm long, found at any auto store) onto the pipe on the fuel filter.
6. Put the now empty TEC 2000 fuel can by the side of the fuel filter and put the other end of the flexible pipe into it, ensuring it will rest at the bottom. Put the Disconnected end of the fuel leak of pipe into the can.
7. Start the engine and run it on idle and keep a close eye on the TEC 2000 tin. You will notice that the can will start to fill from the leak off pipe,
8. After 2 minutes turn the engine off and leave it to stand for 30 minutes (You don't have to do this and it isn't on the instructions of the tin but I find it just lets the injectors soak in the cleaner for a while and this helps in the removal of deposits.)
9. Keep the engine running until the contents of the tin are used up and the leak off pipe is now expelling more air bubbles than fuel when the engine is running.
10. Stop the engine and reconnect the leak off pipe to the steel pipe on the bulkhead and the fuel filter inlet pipe from the tank back on to the filter.
11. Remove the TEC 2000 tin and suitable clean your engine of any drips of fuel that may of occurred.
12. Start your engine and check for fuel leaks.
13. Leave engine running on idle for 5 minutes.
14. Rev the engine up to MAX rpm for 30 seconds (it does seem longer when your counting)
15. Leave engine on idle for 1 minute before switching off.
16. Check again for fuel leaks.
17. If all appears okay then take it for a test run.
18. Check the engine one last time for fuel leaks.

I'm in a wheelchair and I can do all this from the confines of it. It's an easy job. This is my own method I used and have had a lot of success of various vehicles doing it this way as the correct kit for flushing and cleaning the injectors is prohibiting expensive for me.
If you use this method I take no responsibility if it goes wrong. It's just the way I do it.
frogsuk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:48 am

That seems like a lot of work!
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frogsuk » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:29 pm

No not really.

To change the fuel filter takes 5 min's, to open the TEC 2000 takes 2 sec's if your used to opening a can of beer. Sorting the pipes around takes 2 min's.
I've found the Lynx engine to be the easiest Common rail engine to do this on.

The time is taken just waiting for the TEC 2000 to run through.

All in all it's about an hour job to do it right. Not complex and not hard but saves a bundle :mrgreen:
Cost of TEC 2000 off eBay costs about £5 and plastic pipe if you haven't got it is about £1 then it's just your time.

If I can do it from a wheelchair, with a new fuel filter, a 12" length of plastic pipe, a 60ml syringe, a tin of Injector Cleaner and a Philips screwdriver on a Connect then most people can.

I love the beast. I can do most maintenance repairs and service items from my wheelchair on my own, but if I've got to get underneath, then the wife has to help me move about and get back into my chair.

Give it a go, nothing really to go wrong and a sense of achievement when you've done it yourself.
frogsuk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby advance » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:23 am

hi
a mate of mine works in a vauxhall dealer,he says they have a system that runs on there diesels that cleans the system it uses the same fluid,but you dont run this fluid through youre fuel pump as it damages the silicone rubber seals in the pump,vauxhall stress that under no circumstances must the fuel go through a modern diesel pump!!!! it will req replacing soon and isnt covered under warrenty as it is tracable!!!
it runs through the pipework and injectors
The opinions expressed here are of the poster
Opinions may go down as well as up.
Opinions may be recorded for security and staff training purposes
Your home may be at risk if you take any notice of the rubbish printed
CONNECTTDCI+boxer120+120lxmk7
advance
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby frogsuk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:21 am

Hi advance PLEASE READ ALL THIS POST

Sorry but your Mate is wrong. :!: :!: :!: :!:

I do all my research 1st before I use anything in my own vehicles.

I have used TEC 2000 products in 3 diesel Vauxhall (1 petrol 2 diesel) as well as other vans, cars, lorries, Plant and Tractors I have owned.

It (2 tins of TEC2000) has even brought a dead 6 cyl. Sims rotary injection pump back from the dead after severe water/dirt contamination, 1st draining and cleaning the tank and tank filter and lines with fresh fuel and an airline 2nd replacing external fuel filters 3rd removing and cleaning the inlet filter under the delivery valve and removing the metal plate off the side of the pump (where they do the calibrating of the pump), Flushed it with fresh fuel, tried and it still had no pressure to the injectors so drained and filled the pump with TEC 2000, Left it overnight (about 14 hours), bled again and bled it through to the injectors. Run on idle for 25 mins. That excavator went on to work for a further 2 years with no further fuel problems before being sold on.

I have been using TEC 2000 for years and this is an extract of what the TEC 2000 blurb says below I have also included the link to the documents as well and the TEC 2000 UK website:
TECHNICAL INFORMATION Found from here: http://www.leadmedia.co.uk/Tec2000/elements/infoDIC.pdf
For the Health & Safety Guys out there EC - SAFETY DATA SHEET TEC-2000 FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER http://www.tec-2000.cz/images/01-FIC86.pdf
TEC 2000 Website (I do not and have never worked for them and recive no renumaration from them what so ever) http://tec-2000.co.uk/

DIESEL INJECTOR CLEANER
MANUFACTURED TO BS EN ISO 9002 SPECIFICATIONS
What it Does

Cleans injectors and injector nozzles, thereby improving the atomisation and spray pattern of
the injected fuel. The product improves combustion and drastically reduces the characteristic
black diesel exhaust fumes. Many tests have been carried out, in many different parts of the
U.K. at official Ministry of Transport (MOT) testing stations, which show immediate exhaust
emission reductions of up to as much as 60%. Power increases of up to 10% can also be
measured, on appropriate equipment.
When used regularly, fuel savings of between 4% and 8% have been recorded. The
composition of TEC-2000 Diesel Injector Cleaner reduces wear in injector
plungers and piston rings, while it cleans. Additionally, the cleaning of piston rings,
combustion chambers and inlet and exhaust ports, together with the minimising of deposits
on pistons, all contribute to improved engine performance. Data from various tests, both in
the field and under laboratory conditions, show that the use of TEC-2000 Diesel
Injector Cleaner improves injector life with regular use.
What it is
TEC-2000 Diesel Injector Cleaner is a multi-functional diesel injector cleaner
which benefits the diesel engine. The formulation has been tried and tested, all over the
world, for the past 20 years. The active ingredients and basic product design are sourced in
the United States of America and the final formulation is arguably the most effective of its type
available in the world, today.
How to use it.
TEC-2000 Diesel Injector Cleaner (in order to reduce exhaust smoke), is best fed
directly into the injector rail from special, Flo-tec Injector Cleaner or inexpensive air powered
equipment, available from various companies. This takes only about 20 minutes.
Alternatively it can be used to fill the fuel filter container in vehicles where this is reasonably
easily accessible. Run the vehicle at idle for about 25 minutes.
Finally, if none of the above alternatives are available, then the suction pipe from the vehicle
fuel pump should be inserted into the TEC-2000 Diesel Injector Cleaner can and
the "return to tank" pipe also inserted into the can and the vehicle run on the contents until the
can is almost empty.
Reconnect normal fuel supply and take the vehicle for a short run, using relatively high
revolutions and full throttle for a short time. Exhaust smoke emission test can now be made
again.

frogsuk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Ienend » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:00 pm

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I have done quite a bit of research on this, so I want to share my experience.
Additives such as injector cleaner, catalitic converter cleaner, fuel system cleaner, dry fuel conditioner, micro biotic diesel bug antibiotic treatments etc used as preventative maintenance, can do no harm at all.

Dosing every six months or so will help keep components clean and free of deposits, corrosion and diesel micro bug infestation.

I operate in the small craft leisure marine industry where engines and diesel fired heating systems frequently receive only spasmodic use and maintenance. I recommend that boat users regularly dose their fuel with these products for the same reasons to the above. On the plus side as far as cars are concerned is that they will see more frequent use than a boat and therefore fuel is likely to be in rather better condition than that found in marine storage situations.

Most diesel cars are now fitted with diesel particulate filters to control emissions. The downside is that when a signal is generated by the vehicle ECU for the regeneration process to begin, this entails running the car for often a long trip to enable the process to begin and complete. Problems arise with diesels used for short trips where regeneration of the DPF does not complete during the journey. The process entails over fueling to begin the process which can on short journeys cause excess fuel to seep past piston rings and dilute engine oil. Watch very closely for a rising oil level in an engine sump and increase your oil change regime to ensure oil is kept in peak condition. Failure to monitor the regeneration completion process can lead to big end and main bearing failure and the need for a new engine! Short journey use with a diesel car should be actively avoided. The 2.7 D Jaguar/Citroen/Peugeot is designed for high mileage long distance work.

There are several posts on this BB and the X350 BB which describe issues which affect diesel cars and ways to help keep a diesel in top condition. Discussion on additives and tips on running such vehicles will also be found therein. DPF filters, other component parts, usage cycles and the importance of additives for preventative maintenance all go hand in hand and to all intents and purposes form a complete subject with each subject being equally important.

Hope that helps.
Ienend

Return to Transit Connect