*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Legalities of alloys / tyres on the Connect :)

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Legalities of alloys / tyres on the Connect :)

Postby LostinTransit » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:14 am

For what it's worth, the tuner lugs are the correct length but not one of my favorites. We'll keep these until we can order a better chrome set from DPA. Clearly the wheels/rim are going to look larger than the tires as the tires are low profile. Then add in that the 17''' rotate less than the 16'' setup which will end up using less fuel. So far everything looks right, but wont know the fit until we travel to my nephews house in 2 weeks.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:53 pm

So.. we were suppose to have left this morning for North Carolina to get those wheels my nephew has bene hold into for us, but two things crept up. Fist 2 weeks ago I got gout in my knee, pinched nerve in my hip and a hamstring injury. All this and I can't drive the van with a stiff leg. But the wife was willing to drive the distance. However right before we were about to leave, the family calls us saying members of the family have the "FLU" but they used another word which is bogus or no such thing.. this means we're having to wait another 15 days Plus to find out if all's clear.

Anyway here's an interesting update. at some point while resting my knee/leg, I sent an email to my nephew asking if he seen any wheel rings on the wheels or in the included boxes.. he didn't this meant CariD didn't include the wheel rings, so we franticly searched for over night shipping via to vendors.. But as a surprise note, Uncle Eddie stepped in and made us a set of 73.1 - 63.4 all aluminum wheel rings on his belt driven lathe. You've got to see how Uncle Eddie does this. Hooks up he old truck and runs a belt line/rod through his house to the basement of his shop.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:09 pm

Do the studs have to be changed ...ive just bought a 2006 connect with what looks like ford alloys on it...taken them off today ...and it seems like the studs are too short ..each nut only held on by about 4 threads ...something not right
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:26 pm

And am i right in saying to change the front ones the hub has to come off ..and that means destroyed wheel bearing - so need new bearings and studs
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby brickent » Wed May 19, 2021 3:55 am

Any update on this? Pls. post some pics once you're done fitting them. Just looking for ideas here as I'm currently checking some 17" wheels on 4wheelonline.
brickent
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby LostinTransit » Tue May 25, 2021 6:25 pm

Sorry for the late reply, been busy here. I'll get everyone up to speed.

We had to drive down to NC and pick up the wheels I was suppose to have had the nephew installed the brake pads and wheels for us, but the family was quarantined.. So we just picked up everything from his shop and headed to south Carolina. Once IN SC, we stopped off at a salvage yard and bought a used 2005 Thunderbird balloon spare which has the same bolt pattern & center bore as the TC wheels.
imageedit_4_8132164969.jpg

We're doing the 2005 t-bird spare instead of the factory spare which is located under the rear of the van and is extremely hard to remove. We'll drop the factory spare and mount the t0bird spare inside the van. But before this, we're having the crappy Maxxis tire removed as these have been known to explode while in or on the vehicle. once the tire has bene removed we're sending the rim to the powder coaters for a good cleaning.

Then it was off to Greensboro NC where that was a big disappointment. So we continued to our next stop. Goldsboro, NC. Met up with a buddy of mine who's now an owner of his own restoration shop who specializes in Ford Mustangs. We wanted to talk with him about several things, one being installing the Powerstop brake pads, then while the old wheels are off the van, he test fit the custom made wheel rings 73.1 - 63.4 fit like a glove. Good work to my uncle Eddie. Next to mount up those wheels.

41Xy65oTA-L._AC_.jpg

Couple of things here, I hated the supplied socket style tuner lugs so avoid these as they aren't very durable and I've ordered a new (differant) set from DPA. which should arrive any minute. Although the Voxx 17'' x 7.5 ET:38 mounted up. I'm not pleased at how CariD handled this whole order. The valve stims don't match the van so these have to be replaced. The CariD didn't send the wheel rings and I had a hard time finding and getting a set so I had the uncle mill me a set. then if that wasn't enough, The socket style tuner lugs are shaped like a socket without any budge/acorn to them and they aren't holding very well on these Voxx wheels. Several times I've had to keep the lugs in check because while driving home from NC, I kept hearing a clunk sound. Turns out that some of the tuner lugs had worked themselves loose and was making the brake rotor move from side to side.
imageedit_10_4085279603.jpg

Ford doesn't use any retaining clips on the rotors so make sure you tighten the lugs on your wheels. Lastly once home I ordered a set of the DPA budge acorn style tuner lugs. But according to Amazon and even DPA's site I needed the M12 1.5 and when they arrived.. they were too small. In fact doing more research. I found out that if you're driving the Passenger van, you get the M12 lugs. While the cargo Van gets the M14 lugs. So don't make the same mistake we did.

After all was said and done, but I'm still waiting on the DPA tuners, the 17'' x 7.5 Voxx Capo wheels w/ 215/50/17 Nitto tires will fit on the van. Whether or not you like it is up to you. if I had to do it over, I would have went 18 x 8 & 225/50/18 tires as I feel there's still plenty of room in the wheel wells for larger wheels and low profile tires. Although the van looks slammed with smaller tires but larger wheels, the van handled extremely better than the factory 215/55/16 wheels/tires. These low profile Nitto tires grip the road and turn on a dime. As for the factory 16's these tended to stick tot he road causing over steer. The van would dive left or right according to the diction one was turning.
imageedit_12_7609087939.jpg

Oh and as for the new brake pads on the van, love the stopping power and how much clear these are as compared to the stock Ford versions.

Just moments ago, Fedex dropped off the correct M14 x 1.5 budge acorn tuner lugs. Just so everyone knows, That if you own the Passenger van (SWB or LWB) these require the M12 x 1.5 lugs while those who own the Cargo van (SWB or LWB) They require the M14 x 1.5 lugs.
imageedit_1_5757973323.jpg
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Tue May 25, 2021 6:46 pm

metalworker0 wrote:And am i right in saying to change the front ones the hub has to come off ..and that means destroyed wheel bearing - so need new bearings and studs

Not sure I can help you but yes sounds like the studs are too short or wrong. Maybe even a wheel spacer has been added. The only spec sheet I can offer is one from wheel-size.com check there for what size you need.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Tue May 25, 2021 7:10 pm

brickent wrote:Any update on this? Pls. post some pics once you're done fitting them. Just looking for ideas here as I'm currently checking some 17" wheels on 4wheelonline.

As I said above, the only reason I didn't go 18'' x 8'' is because the tire's load index would suffer. I wanted to keep the tire load index around 95-98. if I had went with the 18' the associated tires would have a load index of 91-94 well below the range I was looking for. So if you're not going to be hauling or towing anything then do the 18's. But again this depends on the year TC you have. Make sure you check the lug size currently on the van as there are two differant sizes.
Also, keep in mind that depending on the wheel you get, you need to keep the offset within a respectable range. I found that anything with an offset of between 38-45 will fit the van. Our 17'' Voxx wheels have an ET of 38 which sticks them out slightly but that noticeable.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:58 pm

LostinTransit wrote:
metalworker0 wrote:And am i right in saying to change the front ones the hub has to come off ..and that means destroyed wheel bearing - so need new bearings and studs

Not sure I can help you but yes sounds like the studs are too short or wrong. Maybe even a wheel spacer has been added. The only spec sheet I can offer is one from wheel-size.com check there for what size you need.

Thanks for answering ..the problem was that someone previous had used the old steel wheel nuts on these alloys, the steel nuts have missing threads in the cones ..this is how they were made.

The steel wheel nuts are the same as these ..and not suitable for alloy wheels - see picture three on ebay listing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273322298804

so only 3 - 4 threads hold the wheel on .

In the end i purchased off ebay, nuts with threads going all the way to the end of the cone ..this means I now have 8 threads holding them on ..this is not an ideal solution, but i think it's miles safer ..yes it should have new studs that are longer ..but to do that would mean trashing all the wheel bearings and installing new ones to facilitate the change.

So be aware everyone, if your connect has alloy wheels or you are thinking of fitting them.
if your mk1 connect already has alloys - the wheels may be held on by three threads if someone has used old steel wheel nuts from the standard steel wheels !

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby LostinTransit » Tue May 25, 2021 10:23 pm

metalworker0 man that's tough, we just went though nearly the same thing. The 2020 transit Connect cam with what is known as "standard" hex nut style lugs or open end lugs. but the lug studs are extremely long with a lot of threads. Had no issue with either the socket style of the new budge acorn style. Just make sure the lugs have the correct pitch that seats to the wheel.

I hated the socket style lugs as supplied by CariD NEVER use these socket style lugs..
imageedit_9_8898730455.jpg

Finally, those replacement DPA M14 - 1.5 tuner lugs (cargo van lugs only) arrived this afternoon and I couldn't wait to get them on. These budge acorn lugs replace CariD's supplied Socket style lugs which I hated and started causing problems with the wheels. In fact while changing the socket style lugs out, three of the 5 lugs had again worked themselves loose.
imageedit_9_8898730455.jpg

Although these are far superior to those crappy Socket style lugs, I'm still feeling a shimmy in the front end. I suspect that I'll have to have the tires rechecked for balancing in fear that CariD again failed to do this order right.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 26, 2021 12:41 am

BOUGHT THESE, as i said in another post -copy and paste answer sorry ..

Cheapest ..I could find that where in the UK ...Chinese seller who has a warehouse here, 2 day postage . delivered quickly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303718599811

Despite pictures showing excess of slop between washer (probably he has chosen ones that had a lot of slop to show off the washers in pictures)..........they aren't actually like that , They are very well made, quite precise, have no excess of slop and fit perfectly, nice looking chrome, not nickel plated, unless it polished nickel - threads all the way to end of cone - they do the job, well pleased with them, will they rust ..i don't know . i do know that they are a lot better than what was on there before and at an excellent price, great value for money.
So recommended :)
yours look great ..i wasn't too bothered are mine are only mondeo alloys
..i paid £13.49 delivered they are a couple of pound more now.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby brickent » Wed May 26, 2021 2:15 am

LostinTransit wrote:
brickent wrote:Any update on this? Pls. post some pics once you're done fitting them. Just looking for ideas here as I'm currently checking some 17" wheels on 4wheelonline.

As I said above, the only reason I didn't go 18'' x 8'' is because the tire's load index would suffer. I wanted to keep the tire load index around 95-98. if I had went with the 18' the associated tires would have a load index of 91-94 well below the range I was looking for. So if you're not going to be hauling or towing anything then do the 18's. But again this depends on the year TC you have. Make sure you check the lug size currently on the van as there are two differant sizes.
Also, keep in mind that depending on the wheel you get, you need to keep the offset within a respectable range. I found that anything with an offset of between 38-45 will fit the van. Our 17'' Voxx wheels have an ET of 38 which sticks them out slightly but that noticeable.

Great. Thanks for the info.
brickent
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby LostinTransit » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:41 pm

We're happy to report that the 2005 Ford Thunderbird Balloon spare tire does in fact fit the 2020 Ford Transit Connect. The spare has the same bolt pattern and center bore. You can also use the factory open end lugs or budge acorn tuner lugs for the mounting. There's absolutely zero rubbing issues and the wheel/tire doesn't make any contact with brake lines or suspension components. We'll be keeping a set of the factory lugs in the onboard tool box just in case the spare is needed. But we're not done yet. Now that we know the spare fits, We're heading to a tire shop to have them remove the exploding Maxxis tire. Then we're off to Northern PA to our powder coaters to have the spare rim, cleaned up and powder coated candy blue. Once this has bene done, it's back to the tire shop and have them mounts a new/differant tire on the rim. Lastly it's off to the RV shop and have them mount an interior spare tire bracket inside the van. This was the best $100.00 spent on the van and the drive from Maryland to South Carolina was worth it, even though we drove down to SC during a gas shortage.

However I do have some bad news to report. we've been driving the Voxx wheels w/ Nitto tires for a little more than one month and we hate them. So guess what, we're giving away these 17'' Voxx wheels w/ Nitto tires to another TC owner here in North America and going for a set of 18 x 8 Voxx Capo wheels with a differant brand of tire. The nitto tires aren't what we had expected and they aren't good in wet weather, very nosy etc.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:51 pm

We'll be removing the balloon spare tire from the Thunderbird rim this weekend. Then driving to Northern PA (state) and dropping the rim off at our powder coaters for a cleaning and a quick shot or two of Candy Blue color.

We're 100% sure we're going to get rid of the 17'' x 7.5'' Voxx wheels w/ 215/50/17 Nitto tires. Nitto has admitted that they are not willing to cover ANY warranty issue that may occur during our ownership of these tires. Voxx on the other hand, is not willing to take these wheels back, but has been helping us find the correct size wheel and the best installer to deal with in person. We'll be opting for the 18'' x 8'' ET45 Voxx Capo wheels and this time around, we can actually test fit them on the van before we buy them (without any restocking fees) Most online sites we've contacted will not warranty or guarantee these wheels will fit the van. Then tack on 20%-50% restocking fee. This type of restocking fee are absurd.

Fortunately, We've located a company/retailer willing to take our 17's in the hopes the 18's will fit. They guaranty that the 18'' x 8'' ET45 wheels will fit on our van, they have even told us they will wave any restocking fees if the wheel doesn't fit. Within the next few weeks we'll be driving 3-4 hours into then through another state to have the Voxx wheels test fitted. Once the wheels have been fitted, mounted and installed on the van, I'll report back with my findings.

One other issue is since Nitto is not willing to play ball with us, we're having to locate a differant brand of tire. At first I was hoping for the 225/45/18 Yokohama GT tire, but according to our NEW installer, they suggested a differant/better size. Doing this will allow us to install a set of tire with a higher load index than the current Nitto tires. We're looking at 235/45/18 with a load index of 97. The shop did also suggest that we could go 245/40/18's but I'm not too thrilled with that extremely low profile tire.

Oh btw, almost forgot. As for those supplied socket style tuner lugs, CariD again promised to take these back and give us a refund, they reneged on their promises Again and have not sent a call tag/return label for us to send these back. They're wanting us to pay the ship to send these lugs back. That's not going to happen we're already out 1,500+ on this whole ordeal and we're not about to spend any more with/on CariD BS.

imageedit_1_3973756449.jpg

As for the lugs themselves, I had several takers of these lugs, But decided not to give them away simply because they are dangerous. the lugs (shaped like a socket) have an inferior conical shape/pitch is too shallow which does not seat correctly in the Voxx wheels. I've explain this to CariD several times and apparently their not wanting to listen. be warned when you buy lugs for your new wheels. The straight socket style lugs will not fit correctly on some aftermarket wheels. This is why we contacted DPA and purchased a set of the Budge Acorn tuner lugs and matching Budge Acorn locking lugs for the van.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:09 pm

Today we drove to our local triple A center to make a card payment Little did I know that they also have a service center which just opened up this morning. After making our card payment, I asked the service tech if there's anyone in the shop that can remove the tire from our spare rim. He said sure bring it in and at no charge. Just moments ago, we had Triple A remove the tire from the spare rim and now we need to make time or take a day trip to Northern PA to our powder coaters. But with our work asking us to be prepared for some upcoming overtime, our day trip (during the week) will have to be postpone. At least we finally got that crappy Maxxis tire off the rim and we're now ready to have the rim powder coated that Candy Blue by our platers.
imageedit_1_5951390535.jpg

Again, if you're not familiar with what we're doing. We've cross referenced a 2005 Ford Thunderbird spare Balloon tire that has the same bolt pattern & center bore as the wheel hubs on the 2020 Ford transit Connect. One of the main reasons we're doing this is that the factory spare located under the rear of the van is extremely difficult to extract from the van. We're eliminating weight as well as the difficultly with removing the spare if needed. In order to have a clean appearance, we're sending the 2005 T-bird spare to the platers to have them clean the rim up and powder coat it for us. In fact those working at the shop this morning looked at me strangely when I told them we're powder coating our spare rim before adding a new balloon tire.. "that seems to be a lot for just a spare tire" But if they only knew our plans.

Once this has been taken care of, we'll remount a differant balloon tire on the rim and then mount the spare inside the van. We're looking to save nearly 80 lbs by removing the factory spare and relocating the balloon spare inside the van. Plus we have other plans/uses for the balloon spare once mounted in the van will get to that later in the build.

In case others want to do nearly the same thing, Us roadkillcustoms.com bolt pattern cross reference chart to help you isolate a spare for your van. Again the spare we've selected for our 2020 Ford Transit Connect 5 x 108 / 63.4 is the 2005 Ford Thunderbird 5 x 108 / 63.4 balloon spare which fits right up without any rubbing. However the only drawback to doing this is that if we blow a front tire, we'll have to rotate the rear tire forward and place the balloon spare on the rear of the van.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Connect