*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Clutch master cylinder

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Clutch master cylinder

Postby Enzo200500 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:41 am

Anyone know of a good place for a new Clutch master cylinder - OEM if poss and not from Frauds!!

Just noticed a slight weep from the seal, and few drops on floor........ :(
Enzo200500
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Clutch master cylinder

Postby g-man » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:44 am

have a look at azcarpartsuk on ebay :wink:
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Enzo200500 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks kind sir.
Enzo200500
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Enzo200500 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Righto, just finished changing the clutch master cylinder.....and what a fookin job!

After some useful advice from taz666 (kevin), I was all raring to go.

Got a LUK master cylinder from the bay for £30 inc. next day delivery.

Funny looking thing, half green half black and all plastic.

Decided that as I do not have the flexibility of a russian gymnast, the first job was to remove the front seat. Just as well, judging by some of the positions I got into...

If this helps just one person, then the scars were worth it!!

The van is an '06 TDCI 90ps model.
No photo's taken as when you get the new m/cylinder, its pretty self explanatory!
So here is a brief order of the job in the order I should have done them!!

Inside van first.
Remove front seat, just 3 spline bolts and a 15mm nut.
Remove 10mm bolt from bottom of steering colum and slide up wards and to the right, in front of pedal box.
Slide large black plastic c-clip to the left. Located an bulkhead between the two green elbows. This can come right off, to save pinkies.
There are two 10mm hex bolts that hold the m/cylinder to the pedal box. The lower one can be removed with a socket/ratchet. The upper one, well go buy a ratchet ring spanner-you'll see why. Or spend an eternity swinging a spanner. And fingers like Gollum help here too.
These are self tapping bolts as there is no captive nut/thread in the new m/cylinder. Had me worried for a while.
Lever off the white pushrod from the pin on the clutch pedal, it may snap. But your changing the whole unit anyway.
Thats pretty much it for the 'break your back inside for the moment'.

Now under the bonnet.
The pipes exit the bulkhead just to the right of the brake m/cylinder. One is just visible to the left and down of the EGR valve gubbins.
Now, you will spot the lower pipe easily but the upper one is obscured by a thick wiring loom running right over the top of it.
The pipes are only held in by the pull out circlips. Check on your new m/c assembly for reference. They pull out to the right as you are looking under the bonnet.
Try and save these as you may need one for when you drop them trying to replace. Ask me how I know...
Some rag under the pipes will help soak up the ensuing brake fluid. This will be washed off later.
I have some very impressive scrapes from trying to fit my chunky arms around the back of the manifold and the EGR valve.

Back inside the van, the m/cyliner assembly is now only retained by some sliding 'L' shaped bits on the side. Again, refer to the new assembly to see what I mean. It lifts out in an upward direction, with some swearing and profanity optional.
Some rag inside the van, under the assembly is a good idea.
Once free from the pedal box, the unit should just pull away from the bulkhead, with the rectangle foam washer attached.

Swap the foam over to the new m/c and REMOVE the two new pipe retaining clips now.
Spend a good 20 minutes trying to relocate those silly 'L' locating tabs and then insert the bottom self-tapping bolt. This is the easiest, so don't rejoice just yet. Do not tighten fully, just enough to let the m/c locate properly.
Push the two green pipes towards the bulkhead and slide the black c-clip over the threaded stud.
Now for the fun bit.......the top bolt!
I used a pair of long nosed pliers to get the bolt into position. Then, slowly turned with a 10mm spanner to try and start the thread. This has yet to be cut by the bolt.
I resorted to pushing the end of bolt into the hole from the top of the hex, with a large flat bladed scredriver and turning with spanner. This finally started the thread cutting process! Hoo bloody ray.
Re-fit steering colum and don't forget to tighten that bolt! Its not on a spline, so can only locate one way. Unless you turned the wheel.

Once all bolts are tightened, the seat can be replaced. Gives you something to sit on for tea break!

Remember to leave the pedal in the UP position or the bleeding process does not work. You did connect the white pushrod, didn't you?

Back under bonnet.
Insert the pipes into their respective holes and push home FULLY. You can now have fun trying to get the retaining clips back in place. You''ll see why!! Its not impossible, just a challenge. Remember to keep the old clips did we??

And now the bleeding-clutch, not hands.
The slave cylinder is located almost directly under positive terminal on the battery on the top of the gearbox, facing upwards.
You could remove the battery tray, but its not really essential. Still got those Gollum hands, you need them now! 11mm spanner for this one.

I tried to suck the fluid through with a vac bleeder I use on my bikes. All this managed to achieve was a pedal that worked from halfway down!
I decided to drive the van to Halfrauds and get one of the pressure bleeders that works from the tire pressure. Best thing I've brought in a long time!
The really annoying thing was, upon getting home, the pedal was back to full working height? I decided to bleed again with the new toy and do the brakes as well.
Within 20 mins, all were bled with fresh fluid and working perfectly normal.

And don't forget to thoroughly wash anywhwere that brake fluid could have spilt. If in doubt - wash with low pressure from a hose only. That stuff is evil for paint/metals anywhere.

Job done.

Time for Judge Judy.....
Enzo200500
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Enzo200500 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:27 pm

Quick update, poxy thing has decided to start leaking again!
Not even 2 years old.......

Is anything built to last nowadays??
Enzo200500
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby liteace » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Enzo200500 wrote:Quick update, poxy thing has decided to start leaking again!
Not even 2 years old.......

Is anything built to last nowadays??

Nope nothing is built to last these days, my new to me 06 connect is nearly ready, I'm so reluctant to get rid of this 26 year old toyota van as nothing has ever gone wrong with it
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Gaaz » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:09 pm

This was very helpful thanks :D

The mods should make this a sticky 8)
Gaaz

Postby southcoaster » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:13 pm

Anyone know where I can buy the two bolts for master cylinder - 2.2 mk7? p.s. brand new slave cylinder for sale - £25
southcoaster
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Connect