*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What did you do to your connect today?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: What did you do to your connect today?

Postby Mr Kludge » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:19 pm

Cut out 2 plywood panels for the inside, because I had the ply lying around. First one was a exact template in reverse for the second. Sprayed them and the rear door panels with Silver Wheel Paint. Bolted them on with the existing 4 x 10mm threaded holes. Fitted the 4 cargo pockets I had from my old van.

panel1.jpg

panel2.jpg

panels.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr Kludge

Postby Kenton » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:46 pm

Love the essential Jammy dodgers :lol: 8) Smart job mate :)
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:31 pm

Kenton wrote:Love the essential Jammy dodgers :lol: 8) Smart job mate :)

You beat me to it :lol:

Jammy dodgers = top scran 8) although my grandkids love choccy dodgers :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby DevonMike » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:12 pm

Today I decided to embark on the replacement of the front and rear anti roll bar bushes and drop links.

I'd firstly like to say the rear bushes were a piece of cake, there was only 1 awkward bolt which was obstructed by the fuel tank, another weird thing about the rear bushes, was you had to cut them, and bend them open to get them over the anti roll bar.

The front bushes are a little harder and that involves dropping the sub frame, in order for you to undo the rear clamp bolts (especially on the drivers side) all in all, not a tragic job.

But WOW what a difference, its weird driving the van in complete silence, not having a rattling banging symphony from the front and the rear.
DevonMike
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby mrtn » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:01 pm

Bought a litre of Ford OEM coolant to top off my complaining Connect's expansion tank. Got a Ford calendar with the purchase, not sure where to hang it. Haven't used an analog calendar for years.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kenton » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:22 pm

Had two new front tyres fitted. Went for the new Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3's. Replaced thermostat and housing, MOT done for another year. Not bad for a Saturday morning / afternoon 8) 18 years, 156k and still rolling sweet. Next two jobs for following Saturday; replace reversing light switch, and fuel metering valve (already purchased) :D
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby LostinTransit » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:20 am

Last Fri ordered Cobra Suspension rear set of 40mm lowering coil springs from PSR-Parts, Netherlands. These are listed as going to be delivered later today. Once we have these in stock, we'll then travel to our local Ford Performance dealership and pick up a new set of factory front coil springs. Then once we have both sets in hand, we'll travel over to our powder coaters to have them powder coat the new factory fronts the same color as the new Cobra rears.
imageedit_8_7021276187.jpg

However, because Cobra Suspension is not completely sure these will fit on the van. Yet Jeffery via Cobra Suspension did admit that if these do not fit, Cobra will manufacture lowering springs just for the American market. Seeing how there's uncertainty, we may opt to installed the rear coils first then hope the powder coater can access the coils from under the van in order to get an actuate color match.
Once the rear of the van has been lowered, we'll move on to locating the 28mm sway bar. We gotten leads on another Ford car that utilized the same engine cradle as the Connect. The 2019 KUGA (AKA Escape) uses the same engine cradle as the Connect. The only noticeable difference is the forward bushings located at the top of each of the two main upright supports.
FordEscapeCradle.jpg

We've also located a lone manufacture in Taiwan who designed a 28mm sway bar that fits several different for vehicles. But has not admitted their sway bar could fit the Connect. We aim to find out and very soon.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:50 am

Just got back from a short trip to the shop and the coil springs was there. Open the box and to my surprise, the coils are not orange but red. Now to schedule a time to get these installed.. this should happen within the next few weeks if not sooner.
imageedit_4_7178468144.jpg
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:29 pm

Will a Set of Cobra Suspension 40mm Rear Lowering Springs Fit on a North American Transit Connect

https://www.reddit.com/user/SlammedStanceSpeed/comments/12nc8td/will_a_set_of_cobra_suspension_40mm_rear_lowering/
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:40 pm

Slammed, Stance & Speed is now Live on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/nr4g0Aiu-6w
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Vannycraddock » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:48 am

Had a f*** nightmare in the old girl.......

Snapped a gear selector cable leaving the van in 3rd, about 10 miles from home, managed to get back to the mechanic only for him to say he's fully booked for the next 3 weeks.

He said he could order the parts and use his tools etc if I wanted to have a go myself.

So yesterday I stripped out the old cables and replaced them with new ones. So todays plan is put the rest of the bits back in the engine bay and see if my novice mechanic skills did the trick!

Whilst it was a total pain in the arse there's something rewarding about working on your own van!
Oh and install some 6x9s into the back
Vannycraddock

Postby Altransit » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:56 am

Vannycraddock wrote:So yesterday I stripped out the old cables and replaced them with new ones. So todays plan is put the rest of the bits back in the engine bay and see if my novice mechanic skills did the trick!

Well done you for having a go :D 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Vannycraddock » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:51 pm

Thanks dude!

Turns out I did a spiffing job, van back together and ready to rock, although the mechanics lad has totally wrecked my sill trying to jack it up from there.

Turns out it had a crisp outer shell with a soft and gooey centre.

Got the speakers done too, in hindsight I should've put them at the back facing the driver instead of the ply lining firing at each other, but it does fill it out quite nicely.
Vannycraddock

Postby LostinTransit » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:01 pm

3 Weeks ago, the 40mm rear lowering springs were installed. The van started out with the factory stiffer/taller springs which created a gap of 101mm (4'') at the rear wheels. After installing the 40mm lowering springs.. that gap was reduced less than 40mm which has now made the rear of the van lower than the front. We're currently working on cutting a factory set of front coil springs 5mm-8mm to lower the front end.
imageedit_12_5613293443.jpg

Purely for arthritics, we wrapped the lower portion of the factory shocks with yellow vinyl in preparation for the new Bilstein B6 shocks.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:19 am

{Confirmed Fit]

Moment ago we had the modified 300mm-345mm Super-pro end links designed for a Volvo.. do fit on the Transit Connect. Even without cutting and at it's lowest setting these heavy duty end links will fit your van. parts sites list 11.9 inch end links for the 2020 Connect, but after checking our van on a level surface, the sway bar is approx 10° below level.

Now that we've modified these end links down to 11.50 inched the sway bar is dead on level. So Thats great news for Transit Connect Owners who want a bit more stability on the front end. Although we've been driving around town, the van does feel tighter going into corners. I still think the 28mm sway bar should be installed, But we're happy at the moment with the over all results of this end link modification. Pats self on the Back

imageedit_2_4056916637 (1).jpg

In this image, we were having the wheels/tire rechecked for balance and again Discount tire missed the target on this. According to this local tire shop, all 4 ties were not balanced correctly. So in the image the van was up off the ground and the sway bar is pointing down apporx 20° below level. But once the wheel as placed back on the van.. the sway bar returned to the correct orientation.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Connect