*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Insuring converted vans :)

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby dan_cameron » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:21 am

ajpmsport wrote:
dan_cameron wrote:
ajpmsport wrote:I take it your not A-Plan insurance of Bournemouth and Poole.


We are based in Thatcham but part of the A-Plan group.

The office here deals with campers, modified vehicles and high performance japanese cars.


I will speak to you next time, had a real BAD time at the Bournemouth branch. :evil: Vowed never to go back, but if your used to dealing with these vehicles it might be worth a shout.


Sorry to hear that.

I have spoken to a few of the guys at the Bournemouth office and they seem really clued up on what they are doing with standard vans.

If its a modified camper/day van they should have sent it over to this office as we deal with the modified vans.

Hope you give us a try at your renewal.

Kind regards

Dan
A-Plan
01635-879910
dan_cameron
Registered Trader
Registered Trader
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby Ambowelly » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:03 am

Quick question for you Dan...
My underwriters have given me 60 days to 'start the conversion'. Is there any requirement to change the V5 to Camper/Motor caravan/whatever? I intend to transfer the internals out of a caravan within the next couple of weeks so it will then be a camper but I also intend to take some bits back out as and when I find better stuff to put in it. At what point does it stop being a camper again? What happens if I try to make a claim at the point where I've taken out my dining table for example?
I won't take your reply in any possible legal arisings but advise would be nice!
User avatar
Ambowelly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:58 am
Location: Whitby, where the sun always shines....

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby dan_cameron » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Ambowelly wrote:Quick question for you Dan...
My underwriters have given me 60 days to 'start the conversion'. Is there any requirement to change the V5 to Camper/Motor caravan/whatever? I intend to transfer the internals out of a caravan within the next couple of weeks so it will then be a camper but I also intend to take some bits back out as and when I find better stuff to put in it. At what point does it stop being a camper again? What happens if I try to make a claim at the point where I've taken out my dining table for example?
I won't take your reply in any possible legal arisings but advise would be nice!


Hello,

It all depends on the underwriter.

We have two companies that offer quotes on converted campers.

The first underwriter is pretty relaxed and they cover the vehicle more as a day van. This gives you more freedom to add stuff during the year and have higher mileage. Downside the premiums are more expensive than having it fully converted to a camper.

The 2nd underwriter do require the vehicle to be converted and registered as a camper within 90 days. If for any reason there is a delay they will not just cancel the policy, but request photos of the progress. If they are happy that the vehicle is being converted and will be completed shortly they will extend the cover.

Hope that helps :)

All the very best

Dan Cameron
A-Plan Schemes
01635-879910
dan_cameron
Registered Trader
Registered Trader
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby Ambowelly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Goodo. I'm guessing as my underwriters have only given me 60 days, they're not the fussy ones you mention!!
Best get my saw and hammers out all the same....
User avatar
Ambowelly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:58 am
Location: Whitby, where the sun always shines....

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby dan_cameron » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 am

Ambowelly wrote:Goodo. I'm guessing as my underwriters have only given me 60 days, they're not the fussy ones you mention!!
Best get my saw and hammers out all the same....


Hope its all going well :)

The time consuming part can be getting it re-registered as a camper with the DVLA.

Remember to leave a bit of time for that :)

All the best

Dan
dan_cameron
Registered Trader
Registered Trader
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby wdybmadaity » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:04 am

Will be calling you for a quote on 2 lutons in the near future, do you do car/motorcycle insurance too?... Have used the same firm for years but allways get comparisons.
"A fine is a tax for doing something bad, a tax is a fine for doing something good."
wdybmadaity
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: M6 @ J35 Lancasterish...

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby dan_cameron » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:03 pm

wdybmadaity wrote:Will be calling you for a quote on 2 lutons in the near future, do you do car/motorcycle insurance too?... Have used the same firm for years but allways get comparisons.


Hello,

Yes we do :)

We cover pretty much anything from household insurance to motor cycles.

Drop me a private message when your policies are due and I will call you.

All the very best

Dan Cameron
A-Plan Schemes
01635-879910
dan_cameron
Registered Trader
Registered Trader
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby dan_cameron » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Just so you guys know, we can also quote on multi seat vehicles. :D

All the best

Dan
A-Plan Schemes
01635-879910
dan_cameron
Registered Trader
Registered Trader
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby dan_cameron » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 am

Had quite a few quotations on modified day and camper vans..

Just wanted to say thanks and keep the calls coming :)

All the best

Dan Cameron
A-Plan Schemes
01635-879910
dan_cameron
Registered Trader
Registered Trader
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby AK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:12 pm

I'll be giving you a call probably next week as the renewal is due on the camper, however its going to take some beating, as shield seem to be very competitive
Andrew

59 plate merc splinter Luton, 56 plate 100 TDCI 350 Crew/Camper conversion
User avatar
AK
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: Dorking Surrey

Re: Insuring converted vans :)

Postby pedracer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:26 pm

I'm converting an ex-military 190L 4x4 county ambulance to a campervan.
As yet there is no log book, are you able to insure on the basis of pictures and Chassis number? I need to MOT it to get the log book. All a bit arse about face really!

I don't want it to end up as a panel van with windows, but a bonafide camper.
pedracer
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Previous

Return to Camper vans and conversions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider]

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.