Transitmania 12 @Santa Pod 15th to 17th May 2020

Nugget on a budget

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Nugget on a budget

Postby CustomColin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post. I just bought a 2018 ford transit custom and have started the conversion. I have no experience of converting a van before so will be getting professionals to do the scary things like pop tops, gas and windows but going to have a bash at everyThing else.

Anyone else converting a custom? It would be great to hear your ideas.

I love the layout of the ford transit nugget, which has 3 separate areas for seating, kitchen and sleeping and the ability to walk through the van from rear to side doors. So I am trying to recreate this layout without the expense of a brand new nugget.

So far, the ideas are to
- install a hilo roof, which gives standing room at the back and a double bed in the roof
- Bench seat with table at the front, though this won’t be a crash tested one, I’ll be making it to fit so no back seats in the van, this will be sitting and sleeping only. The swivel passenger seat will create a seating area around a table.
- L-shaped kitchen to rear with fridge, hob, sink and oven - to save space I am going for an underslung LPG gas tank.
- Large locker to rear for kit and various bits of storage stashed around the walls.

Just stripped the van and started the insulation...
CustomColin

Re: Nugget on a budget

Postby CustomColin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:55 pm

Windows are in! Highly recommend www.glassforvans.co.uk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CustomColin

Re: Nugget on a budget

Postby richbee » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:18 am

Sounds like a good project - I'm mid-way through conversion too. Going for a slightly different layout, keeping the low roof and using Tourneo seats turned round to face backwards, so I keep the 6 seats configuration, but can remove 1, 2 or 3 of them as required. The bed & kitchen cupboards are being made from scratch in position. ALl good fun and lots of hard work - I've got the insulation and carpeting done, plus most of the electrics, now on with the units.....
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions