*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

460 minibus camper conversion

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: 460 minibus camper conversion

Postby johnporter11 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:24 am

Rob62 wrote:First photo’s of the project, progress so far; strip out the rear seats and trim, wash down the interior which wasn’t bad at all, now fitted the passenger swivel seat. Photo’s are before the wash down. More to follow.

Hi Rob62. How is the van progressing?
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rob62 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:19 pm

Hi John, just fitted a couple of swivel bases. Been getting some electric cables and conduit together ready to lay the wiring then I’ll be ready to start the insulation.. Been finalising the layout design too, now that I actually have a van to take some measurements from.... here’s a link to the CAD model
https://youtu.be/ty7BdTBj2d0
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnporter11 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:54 pm

Wow, that's impressive.
I bought a load of conduit also. But in the end I opted for two-core double insulated cable (of various size) and used the existing Ford cable route and hangers - hardly any conduit needed.
Where did you source your swivels? Single passenger seat?
Can I ask, have you disposed of the luggage racks?
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rob62 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:58 pm

Hi John, I bought the swivel bases from kiravans, they are french made items, very sturdy and easy to use. They were about £160 / £170 each so not too bad. The passenger side was a doddle to fit just 4 bolts to undo and a bit of trimming to the outside plastic seat trim.. The drivers side is a bit more awkward to fit, the whole handbrake assembly needs to come off as well as the seat, also the battery cover needs to be trimmed otherwise the swivel plate won’t sit down properly, even after trimming i had to space the swivel base with some washers (about 6mm). No trimming required as the drivers seat is height adjustable. But the whole handbrake cover has to go as the bracket needs lowering. I painted the metal bracket black and it looks ok.

Yes I still have the luggage racks, they are amazingly solid, you could swing from them. All the brackets are there plus the roof lining which is different to a plain roof lining. Make me an offer!

Still have all the seats too.... they all need to go or they’re gonna end up in a skip :(
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rob62 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:07 pm

Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Boltrounder » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:43 pm

Decent man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boltrounder
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnporter11 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 am

Rob62 wrote:Hi John, I bought the swivel bases from kiravans, they are french made items, very sturdy and easy to use. They were about £160 / £170 each so not too bad. The passenger side was a doddle to fit just 4 bolts to undo and a bit of trimming to the outside plastic seat trim.. The drivers side is a bit more awkward to fit, the whole handbrake assembly needs to come off as well as the seat, also the battery cover needs to be trimmed otherwise the swivel plate won’t sit down properly, even after trimming i had to space the swivel base with some washers (about 6mm). No trimming required as the drivers seat is height adjustable. But the whole handbrake cover has to go as the bracket needs lowering. I painted the metal bracket black and it looks ok.

Yes I still have the luggage racks, they are amazingly solid, you could swing from them. All the brackets are there plus the roof lining which is different to a plain roof lining. Make me an offer!

Still have all the seats too.... they all need to go or they’re gonna end up in a skip :(

Hi Rob. Thanks for coming back on that. Will check out the swivel seats (the passenger side anyway). Nice work on the handbrake bracket.
I'm probably too far away to think about the racks. But actually, I've already got a set of Trend racks (with overhead lights). However, I'm really looking for the brackets, specifically the big L-brackets that attach directly to the van body, and also the little hangers.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rob62 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:04 pm

Hi John, no problem.. I do have all the brackets nuts, bolts and all, but I’d prefer to sell as a complete assembly.. otherwise I fear the luggage racks will be useless without the correct brackets and i’ll end up having to bin them. Do you also have the correct roof panels with the cutouts to suit the racks? I can do you a deal on the job lot :D
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnporter11 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:25 pm

Rob62 wrote:Hi John, no problem.. I do have all the brackets nuts, bolts and all, but I’d prefer to sell as a complete assembly.. otherwise I fear the luggage racks will be useless without the correct brackets and i’ll end up having to bin them. Do you also have the correct roof panels with the cutouts to suit the racks? I can do you a deal on the job lot :D

Where are you Rob?
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rob62 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:48 pm

Hi John, i’m in Castleford Yorkshire, 2 mins from the J32 shopping centre and indoor ski slope..
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnporter11 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:21 pm

Rob62 wrote:Hi John, i’m in Castleford Yorkshire, 2 mins from the J32 shopping centre and indoor ski slope..

I'm in Northern Ireland!
Given that I've already bought the Trend racks (without the brackets), and I'd given up on sourcing any and modified my layout preventing the use of racks on the off-side, I might still consider fitting the short one on the nearside. But I still need just the brackets!
Keep me in mind if you give up!
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rob62 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:48 pm

You will get 1st refusal John if i decide to scrap them
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DCW1 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:02 am

Great base van and love your CAD mock-up. Is this your first project or have you built up experience over the years on previous vehicles? Would love to try something like this in a few years time...
DCW1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rob62 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:16 pm

Hi DCW1, Thanks.. No this is my first camper conversion and my first van, although my daily driver is an Nissan Elgrand which I have toured France in a couple of times.. its the size of a small van but a bit more refined. I love the Transit though, its great to drive for such a big vehicle, can’t wait till it’s finished and I’m off on my first adventure :D .
Rob62
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JamesHow » Fri May 21, 2021 12:16 pm

How hard was it to remove the plastics from your minibus?

Can you do it without breaking the fixings?

I want to remove mine at some point insulate with rockwool / foil and put it back.

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions