*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

WAV Wheelchair restraint removal

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

WAV Wheelchair restraint removal

Postby 5quirrel » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:57 am

Hi Guys, I have a 2017 Ford Tourneo Custom Independence WAV van that I am slowly converting.

I have removed the three restraint rails from the lowered floor but am stuck with how I remove the remaining two restraints - the round lug ones that are screwed into the huge nuts on the lowered floor. I suspect it requires a special tool but thought I would shout out here first for help. I know it would leave two holes in the floor but that's fine for now.

Regards,
Stephen (pictures below)

https://c.mail.com/@847439045255504971/iN73agLxTm6O1o9-g_zMNA/ROOT/ROOT

https://c.mail.com/@847439045255504971/y2B4D7QdSh6L3R8ecViJKQ/ROOT/ROOT
5quirrel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: WAV Wheelchair restraint removal

Postby Happy Grumpz » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:07 pm

I left those in on mine as I couldn't see a way of removing.

I suspect they're welded in.

I made the ramp area into 3 hidden storage boxes so just carpeted over them in the end.
2017 TOURNEO CUSTOM 310 ZETEC TDCI
Happy Grumpz

Postby giraud » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:22 am

Hi Guys,

I have just acquired a 2020 Independence WAV to convert into a camper.

Do you any hints/tips/advice you've learned with your vans?

Thanks!
giraud

Postby 5quirrel » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:34 pm

Hi, we've learnt lots and lots as we went along and happy to share :) I guess the first question is what are you doing with the floor space and what sort of equipment you plan on fitting.
Tourneo Custom 2017 Diesel Bus 2.0 EcoBlue FWD V362 F3 1995cc 77KW 105HP YLFS
5quirrel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby giraud » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:43 pm

We're still at the very early stages.

My first issue is the folding bumper section. Now I've removed the ramp, I 'm thinking about just fixing it in place with L-shaped brackets and replacing the chopped plastic bumper parts with new full length sections. How did you handle this?

As far as the storage space, I'm just thinking about a hatch in the floor and using the space for hookup cable, hose etc.

As I say this is all early stage thinking and I'd love to hear what you've actually done and what you might have changed with the benefit of hindsight.
giraud

Postby 5quirrel » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:02 pm

Hi, okay the floor question I had for you was to determine if you were going to stick something like 18mm ply over the entire floor and simply use the extra space as storage. If this is the case then you benefit from the storage space under the floor and can then proceed to do a camper conversion 101 bog standard, buy the bits off the internet and bolt in. This gives you a very easy option but your camper is likely to be identical to 99% of all other conversions (which is fine if that is what you’re after).

We decided to use the lowered floor to provide height to the van space as my wife is ‘petite’ and can stand up in the back in the lowered floor. We also didn’t want the standard van conversion plan so we had to build a complete bespoke internal solution which suits our needs better but took at least 3 times as long as a bog standard conversion and required a huge amount of fabricating furniture and planning – I guess I’m saying if you want an easy life, cover the floor and use it as storage and do a bog standard conversion, if you want something a little different then it will be a much bigger challenge.

With the rear bumper/ramp we decided to replace the full bumper (ebay £50) as it made a huge difference to the look of the vehicle but I had to drill and move the reversing sensors back into the correct placement as with the ramp they were moved outward to the sides. Bumper was affixed with a few L-brackets and screws. I had to extend the original brackets also as the bumper under the ramp is closer to the chassis than the rest of the original outbound bits.

We chopped the ramp off with an angle grinder and had it welded up as you need to keep the tailgate strike-plate in the same place for obvious reasons.

We also designed the entire kitchen and U-shaped seating but that’s a little too detailed for this post (and quite complicated and fiddly).

I hope this helps but feel free to get back to me if you have any other questions.
5quirrel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jameschurch14 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:37 pm

Hi, just seen you post.
I’ve just purchased a WAV Tourneo. And I’m struggling on removing the ramp itself.
Any advice would be great.

Thanks
jameschurch14

Postby 5quirrel » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:00 am

Hi James, my initial thoughts were to remove the entire ramp and hinge but two independent mechanics pointed out that the ramp hinge provided a great deal of structural rigidity to the lowered floor and by removing it completely I would then need to strengthen the rear of the floor. The final solution (which both mechanics agreed on) was to leave the ramp in place, cut the ramp down to floor level (angle grinder) and then weld the ramp stump to the original lowered floor. Admittedly not my first choice of solution but I had to bow to their greater knowledge and all was completed for £200.

The next bit I did myself at home which was to buy a replacement full rear bumper (couple of brackets and screws). Looks so much better without the original massacred rear bumper.

Stephen
5quirrel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Happy Grumpz » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:59 pm

I did mine last year, proper budget level conversion but it works for us.

I chopped the ramp off, had the back end welded up...

ImageVan Conversion by Matt Smith, on Flickr

Divided the dropped section into 3 areas and created under floor storage then carpeted the lot...

Built a bed frame...

Made some rear storage...

And a cooking shelf...

Fitted a memory foam mattress, job done lol

The under floor storage is brilliant for wetsuits, chairs etc
Happy Grumpz

Postby 5quirrel » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:48 pm

We decided to keep the lowered floor in place so it gave us more headroom. We also wanted to keep all the furniture below window level so we could see 360 degrees at all times and also seating opposite each other so we could play cards, etc.

Rather than bore you with far too many photos of the build and installation details I thought a quick video may be a better approach. Right to left is in living room configuration and left to right is in bedroom configuration - hope I am not breaking any forum rules with a link to my Instagram reel.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cf4vJ-vAUv6/
5quirrel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 5quirrel » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:36 am

5quirrel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jakll » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:45 am

Hi all,

Just about to purchase 2017 Ford custom Tourneo independence 2.0 diesel SWB with the rear wheel chair ramp and lowered middle floor basically due to the very low miles, age and price.

I am buying the vehicle to use as an everyday van for me and my family not for any disability use, is this allowed ?. How did you guys go about insuring the vehicle ?. Going through Go Compare for example, when entering Reg it classes the Van as a Car (M1) vehicle as its a disability vehicle. Should I change anything or just insure as its saying has anyone else come across this?.
Also Can anyone tell me what they did with insurance Regarding modifying the vehicle by removing ramp ?.

Long term I will remove the ramp and fit upholstered plyboard across the rear floor of the van to remove the awquard lowered floor. Is weight in the back anything to be concerned about ? what sort of weight have people had in the back of these once the ramp is removed ?. I get out and about so will be hauling push bikes, surfboards, tents and may occasionally stick a mattress down and have a night away.

Thankyou all

Regards

Jake
jakll

Postby JamesHow » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:57 pm

Nice conversion

Do you sleep transversely?

If so how much width do you have?

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Happy Grumpz » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:34 pm

Yeah I sleep across but at a slight angle, I'm 5 10 and just about manage.

Any taller and you'd struggle.
Happy Grumpz

Postby Karina_T » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:57 am

Hello!

I've just bought a 2018 WAV Tourneo with the triple rear seats intact but the lowered floor and wheelchair restraints.
Same reasons - mileage and price.
I'm a paddler so it's going to take kayaks and me camping etc.
Luckily I'm short enough to be able to sleep transversely for stealth camping trips. I'll be swapping out the bed 'solution' from my beloved T4 once I've got the floor sorted in the Tourneo.

My first quandry is how to remove the ramp but keep the bumper level so that the tailgate shuts and locks.
I don't want to start removing the ramp before I've got a solution or I'll be left (probably) with a van that doesn't shut.

I'll tackle all the restraints and what not after the ramp but to start making full use of the vehicle I need to have that out.

My conversion is the Allied motabililty one so the ramp is actually fitted to the bumper which pivots downward. I'll take some pictures when it stops raining.

But basically I'm so pleased to finally find a thread of DIY converters here! Thank you for sharing your wisdom.
Ford Tourneo Custom 2.0 310 EcoBlue Titanium 128bhp 284.00 torque Independence RS model
Karina_T
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Camper vans and conversions