*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Petrol 2005 High Top. So it begins

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Transit Petrol 2005 High Top. So it begins

Postby Chilly07 » Mon May 29, 2023 4:26 am

Morning/afternoon/evening all,

New to me Transit delivered today.

I’ll add photos now if I can if not later when I’ve worked out how.

Apparently was a camper but youngsters stripped it out to refit. Obviously did not know what they were doing nor asked questions, read posts on forums like this. Due to how the were fixing it and eventually gave up. Shame because doing something like this together can be a fulfilling achievement.

O well. Moving on.

This has a lot of rust in the roof. I need to have a read and see what easier ways of fixing. Such as buying replacement panels etc etc.

Also has no drive. Gets confusing now as they stated it did drive. They had the clutch cable replaced and now it does not drive. Whilst looking at it I can see it’s hydraulic. Had to have a read and I believe, but yet to confirm, that there is a cable on the master cylinder. They were not sure what was done l ho hum.

Anyhow currently charging the battery as it is dead flat. Once done I’ll test it and can replace or use. Then I can look a bit more into the No drive. Clu5ch feels ok and prop flicks but not more. I believe these have a dmf so perhaps fallen apart or maybe clutch slave cylinder leaked and contaminated the clutch. Although no noise or smell. Or release bearing not releasing at all. Otherwise I would assume gearbox failure….is that normal?

Slightly off topic for this part of the forum but thought I would post from the start of the journey.

O…gave it a wash too. Been sitting under a tree.

Stripped out foil from inside. Had been stuck on with various methods. Glue, double sided tape, silicone and whatever they had to hand.

Just a couple of photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chilly07

Re: Transit Petrol 2005 High Top. So it begins

Postby Altransit » Mon May 29, 2023 9:38 am

Chilly07 wrote:Also has no drive. Gets confusing now as they stated it did drive. They had the clutch cable replaced and now it does not drive. Whilst looking at it I can see it’s hydraulic. Had to have a read and I believe, but yet to confirm, that there is a cable on the master cylinder. They were not sure what was done l ho hum

If, by any chance, it's a FWD, there are cables on the gear lever to the top of the box.

Chilly07 wrote:Anyhow currently charging the battery as it is dead flat. Once done I’ll test it and can replace or use. Then I can look a bit more into the No drive. Clu5ch feels ok and prop flicks but not more. I believe these have a dmf so perhaps fallen apart or maybe clutch slave cylinder leaked and contaminated the clutch. Although no noise or smell. Or release bearing not releasing at all. Otherwise I would assume gearbox failure….is that normal?

The battery is unlikely to survive being flattened, it may return a healthy voltage when charged, but turning an engine over, probably not.
Gearbox failure is not normal, but not impossible, more likely DMF failure or broken centre plate.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Re: Transit Petrol 2005 High Top. So it begins

Postby Chilly07 » Mon May 29, 2023 12:30 pm

I should add more detail

Petrol 5 speed manual gearbox. 350 high top. Rear Wheel drive.
Chilly07

Return to Camper vans and conversions