*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Tips for a live-aboard van.

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Tips for a live-aboard van.

Postby Kiwi MAN » Sun May 04, 2025 11:26 am

Hi everyone,

I'm helping out my son who has decided that living in a campervan is a better alternative to a flat. He has bought a van with a kitchen and bed and is now looking to add a few essentials for living such as internet connectivity and a shower (in order of importance!)

Image

Does anyone else liveaboard their van and have any tips on what upgrades are essential?

Thanks,

Mark,
Wellington, NZ.
Kiwi MAN
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun May 04, 2025 5:37 am

Re: Tips for a live-aboard van.

Postby matti.rory » Sat Jun 28, 2025 12:27 am

Hi Mark, I don't have much specifics as of now, but I'm also building a campervan like this. Let's stay in touch.
matti.rory
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2025 12:56 pm

Re: Tips for a live-aboard van.

Postby bortaf » Sun Jun 29, 2025 12:47 am

ventelation, plenty of it, maxfan or similar, helps with condensation no end :D
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Mk6 fiesta 1.4TDCi
User avatar
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2500
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:26 am

Re: Tips for a live-aboard van.

Postby dumper » Sun Jun 29, 2025 7:34 am

My first camper conversion I varnish the wall boards thinking it will be easy to clean but sleeping at night. You did get conversation on the wood every other one I’ve done I have carpet lined everything I could.
For the windscreen and cab windows the sliver screen that fits on the outside is good at keeping the screen dry inside downside is if you have to store it when wet that’s why I use the internal one now if I was living in the van and not moving around in winter I’d fit both internal and external as you get a lot of heat loss out of the cab windows.
Rather then fit a shower you could go to a local swimming bath for one when I’m in Ireland fishing I use the local canal system they have showers for the boats.
2025 MK 8 L3 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
2015 MK 8 L4 H3 motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6403
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Tips for a live-aboard van.

Postby Radiofence » Mon Apr 27, 2026 9:31 pm

Hole in floor and roof vent. With redux 12v fan tun off 5v. Almost silent. Karcher window vac for the morning. Shower outside in a toilet tent or just stand outside and put up with the cold.
Insulate and sound deaden (cheap sound deadening tends to peel off in the summer heat.
The electrics will get cold and condensation will form on them which may cause you electrical issues - but its worth it. Good on him.
Transit custom 2.2
User avatar
Radiofence
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2024 2:17 pm
Location: Oxford


Return to Camper vans and conversions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.