*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1978 mk 1 camper

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: 1978 mk 1 camper

Postby walt1984 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:10 pm

Took a new filter and some pipe with me this weekend and had abit of tinker time this morning.old filter had done its job and it felt to run well but soon started missing in the hills.
Think carb wants to come off and be cleaned properly and timing checking.ImageImage

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Changed voltage regulator on back of clocks.
Ended up with both gauges reading max, put old regulator back on and they still read max. Disconnected wire off thermistor on engine and temp fell back to bottom.
Had a look on here and google but my problems never seem to be same as everyone else's.
Put new regulator back on and put dash in and gauges are reading low again.
Heaters are hot and tank was full 60miles ago.

Thermistor is only been in a few years.

Also having some problems with idling when its engines warm
If you leave it, it will get hot and stop and wont restart till its cooled down. You normally can tell its going to stop coz it starts to smoke abit, feather the throttle and it sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders then will clear and rev fine until revs drop back down again.

Sent from my P330X using Tapatalk
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:54 pm

Had the carb off and soaked in a ultra sonic cleaner then stripped and cleaned it out.
Put it back together, tipped a drop of fuel down its neck and coughed into life.
Only thing is the hot start problem is still there. .
Leave it ticking over for 10mins and it stops and wont restart.
Turning over fast, it has spark and had pipe off lift pump. Fuel under pressure when i disconnected pipe on the carb and plenty of fuel shoots out the open end of pipe when the engine is turned over.
The heaters are hot but engine is not boiling but i think for short term ill go back to a cooler stat.
Then hopefully i wont have to sit on petrol pumps waiting for it to cool.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:35 pm

Set off towards black pool to fylde show on friday. Every time revs dropped to tick over it ran lumpy and had to keep a few revs on when sat at lights etc.
Set off tonight got about a mile from rally field and it died
Checking usual things, little inline plug lead spark tester, making sure it was getting fuel, rota arm and dizzy cap etc.
Swapped coil with auto sleeper and it fired into life, even little plug tester was brighter.
Drove down road to a pub took coil off and walked back up road to autosleeper.
So im once again sat at the side of the road waiting with not the right spare or break down cover, what a prat.
old fella and his mrs has gone home to drop my little boy off and come back with a spare coil. Its about 1.1/2 hrs each way
Bought a top gear dvd yesterday for 50p,think ill watch that with a brew.
If the new coil cures the hot start problem it means the accu spark coil has been faulty since day one.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jonochap » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:25 pm

Aw Wait...bummer :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:26 pm

Well made my tea, watched top gear then minions.
Old fella turned up and we got lucas coil on and it cracked straight into life. Me dad is scratching his head saying "when we were lads. coils used to work or not, not intermittent like this"

Wondering with it having a electronic ignition instead of old fashioned points it could of run with a lower output from the coil before it stopped completely.
It looks like the stopping when left idling or hot start problem could of been down to the coil failing. I left it running when i got home so i could make room to park camper and it was fine,
normally it would of stopped and refused to start.

It ran out of fuel in clitheroe but that was kinda on purpose coz gauge dosent work and we wanted to get rid of any stale or bad fuel and had 2 gallon in the locker.

Things i need.
2 x new ignition coils. 1 spare 1 to use
Brake down cover.
More dvds in case of a break down.
New alternator other is getting worse now.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Emailed accuspark to see if they wanted the old coil back to inspect it and ask what coil they recommended. Got £1.80 off a new one.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jonochap » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Result...heritage does my insurance and recovery is free, all for the princely sum of £150. Great service and earned the money back ten fold

jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:35 pm

That sounds cheap.
Talking to my dad about breakdown cover, "dont need breakdown cover, we have a landrover"
But it would be sods law something would go terminally wrong at Scarborough and he would be on holiday in jersey or somewhere daft. Id have to call midnight milkman again.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:48 am

Image tressure
Local motorist discounts had this in stock.
Says it was tested in 2000.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:11 pm

Got a new speedo to try and see if i can get a working temp and petrol gauge but its still doing same .
If engines warm and you turn ignition back on temp will climb to correct place then fall back to bottom.
Changed voltage regulator but i think new one might be duff, changed temp sender on engine and checked wiring.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jonochap » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:38 pm

Have you checked the wire?

jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Yeah if i earth temp wire the needle will climb right up.
Checked multi plug on back of clocks too when i was tracing intermittent oil pressure light.
Slowly working through dodgy connections and replacing with soldered and heat shrunk ends.
Im pretty suited hot start problem has been sorted with new coil just like some working gauges.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:49 pm

Fitted a new washer bottle today.
Stripped carb again to see if i can find why it runs lumpy on part throttle and kangaroos when driving on tick over when it used to be so smooth.
Borrowed a vacuum gauge to see if i can set timing and mixture better. Will have to have a test drive tomorrow. Image
Looks like it grew there.
Also riv-nutted the battery clamps and soldered up the positive battery clamp and lead, resealed drivers side manifold to front pipe and adjusted clutch. Image
I wouldn't get away with this is i didn't live on me own.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Put glove box back in after moving screen wash pump wire.
Rewired the cig lighter socket in the camper part. Someone had wired it up with something thin like speaker wire, was ok for charging phones but its gunna be no good for a 12 volt hair dryer. Vacced it out and took bedding out to be washed.
Layed under it looming where i could fit a eberspacher if i can get it working. Changed some bulbs for leds.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Camper vans and conversions