*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Swb low roof motorhome conversion

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Mk7 Swb low roof motorhome conversion

Postby kazoo_u » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:14 pm

Here's a recent pic of the van from the summer as we set off for France for a week.
Mk7 T260 swb 85ps camper self build. Roofrack with inset solar panel, Vantuner enabled cruise control.
kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 Swb low roof motorhome conversion

Postby kazoo_u » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:52 pm

Before the conversion began:

First job cut the window holes, for this I drilled from the inside a few guide holes around the corners of the panel struts then on the outside masked them up and joined them up to give my guide lines. Then used a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade for cutting thin sheet steel to cut out the panel.

Put on the edging strip and the dinitrol 500 bonding adhesive then stuck the windows on and held them in place with gaffer tape.

After that I insulated the ceiling, walls and floor with 25mm kingspan.
All the cables for the led lighting were run through the cross beams in the roof, down the wall to the 4way switch by the side door and across the floor at the back door. I left a channel without any kingspan in for the cables to get back to the control board, batteries. There is also a channel in the floor at the front.

Next was the lining. Ply on all sides, floor and roof and lining carpet was stuck on using high temperature spray adhesive using about 1 full 500ml per metre square.

Mk7 T260 swb 85ps camper self build. Roofrack with inset solar panel, Vantuner enabled cruise control.
kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kazoo_u » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:20 pm

Designed and made my own rock and rock bed with a gas strut assisted lift
Put ply panels on with a 6 inch foam and wrapped in grey cord.
kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby panelvan08 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:31 pm

Looking really smart this!
panelvan08
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kazoo_u » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks i've got loads of photos on my old computer which I'll have to dig back out.
kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby GnarlyDon » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Looking really good so far mate. Im buying a mk7 115 trend on Saturday and looking to do something similar. If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the 2 rear windows and the side sliding door one? Also how much of a pain in the arse were they to fit? Looking forward to seeing more of your progress man.
GnarlyDon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby derv23 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:03 pm

Looking good mate. Some quality work there. Love the rock & roll bed , your own design ?
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby kazoo_u » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:52 pm

GnarlyDon wrote:Looking really good so far mate. Im buying a mk7 115 trend on Saturday and looking to do something similar. If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the 2 rear windows and the side sliding door one? Also how much of a pain in the arse were they to fit? Looking forward to seeing more of your progress man.

Sorry for the late response! Leisure vehicle windows was where they were from. Pretty easy to fit with a jigsaw and duct tape.
kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kazoo_u » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:55 pm

derv23 wrote:Looking good mate. Some quality work there. Love the rock & roll bed , your own design ?

Yeah saw a few designs and came up with a bit of a hybrid. Put an adjustable gas strut on it to make lifting a bit easier, but made the mistake of tuning it out of the van, with the resistance of the cushions rubbing on the cupboard it doesn't fold back up to a chair quite on its own it it does make it a little lighter to lift.
kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kazoo_u » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:58 pm

Photo of the roof rack with solar panel and awning attached
Also picked up some mak aria j alloys which will be going on after sorting the bodywork out.
kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kazoo_u » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Vinyl wrapping first half complete in 4D carbon. Will be putting a white section from the carbon to the window line.

kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kazoo_u » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Finished the wrap and established the cheap vinyl from eBay is crap! Sticks fine to flats but is no good on profiles, I used 3m primer for the vinyl too but it's still peeling back on the edges. Hopefully it will last 6 months or so then I can either redo it with a better vinyl or get the van sprayed. Wheels look good though, can only see about 5mm of tread from the top on the front, rear is fine.

kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:51 am

most excellent a proper bed instead of the usuall bits of shitti wood nailed together like most use
should be able to get frisky with a size 20 plus lady on that without getting splinters :)
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nikstik » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:32 am

Any more pics of this bad boy? Great work!!
nikstik
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Camper vans and conversions