*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear door canopy / awning .

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Rear door canopy / awning .

Postby Carl Atkinson » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Anyone know where I could get a rear door canopy or awning for my camper. Noting big, just a bit of shelter for when cooking !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carl Atkinson

Re: Rear door canopy / awning .

Postby Dodge20 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:44 am

Don't known about a specific awning, can you not get some king poles and guy lines and rig up a tarp?.
Some people are like slinkies.... not good for much but bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

2009 280 85hp
2015 290 Custom DCIV twin side doors 155hp(tragically killed)
Dodge20
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Location: Go to the end of the world and turn left. (South Cumbria)

Postby Beaker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Do you have sailmaker anywhere near you?

I've spoken to my local chandlers/sailmakers about custom making a simple awning for my back doors basically just a tarp with a couple of folds and guy lines . They have helped me out in the past with repairs to my tents and camping equipment. They said they would be happy to do one for me, and quoted a price much less than anything I can buy off the shelf.

Everything that I can find on the market is either overkill in terms of design and complexity, or simple and straightforward but stupid money - think Fiamma.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:37 pm

When working on lining the back doors, in the snow, the other day, I threw a plastic groundsheet over the doors and thought at the time I need to get something made up. My initial thoughts were a 'material cover' attaching to a set of roof bars and then down to the edges of the door with a lip running down, all clipping in somehow - the thought on the roof bar/raised edge was to provide water run off.

I don't have a sail maker in West London so I better get my sewing machine out at some point...... or drive to the coast :D

Just a few other jobs to complete first.
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Guy, I bet you have one closer than you think - if you have dinghy sailing on any resevoirs near you, you will find a chandlers that offer sail repairs. Some sails are extremely expensive these days, so repairs are far cheaper than buying a new one if they tear. Often they tend to keep destroyed sails and recycle them into something else e.g. for making sail bags or covers.

I'm in Northampton - just about as far from the sea as you get, but I have a chandlers only a couple of miles away.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:26 pm

Funny you should say that because after posting yesterday I rang up the local lake to book in for my kayaking course and the penny dropped, so yes I will be having a look and a chat if they have a chandlers when I get down there.

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wadey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Like this ??
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152392655790
It's a friend of mine who makes them
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Beaker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:24 pm

That's very close to what I had in mind. Thanks for the link. :D

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MIS-UK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Wadey wrote:Like this ??
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152392655790
It's a friend of mine who makes them

hi,
Could you pass me your friends contact info? We are looking to place a large order of these and haven't been able to get a reply via eBay. Or ask him/her to call 01302 890984 and ask for Gina
MIS-UK

Return to Camper vans and conversions