*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Thetford Cassette toilet

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Thetford Cassette toilet

Postby honda bob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi All, I'm converting my 2006 350 LWB Transit and come across my first problem, I bought a cassette toilet and went to fit it today but the sides of the van are not flat so fitting the cassette door is going to be a real problem, Has anybody got any suggestions on how to fit it.
Cheers Bob.
honda bob
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Thetford Cassette toilet

Postby 4x4 tranny » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:02 pm

Hiya Honda bob
Well there's probably two ways to do this , one you will have to make a profile of the out side of the van and then out of timber shape it to the same, that you end up with a flat surface to fit the door to fit on to. or could use steel but much more difficult, depends on your skills.
second is to cut the van skin and use the skin as a door, this way you have to build a hole door frame inside and out and dont use the door supplied.
This is more time consuming and harder if you skill levels not to flash but end up with something that not looking like a big blob stuck on the side of the van.
both ways takes some patiants. sorry to say.
check out campervan Australian style and if you look the the pics you can see what Ive done.
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby honda bob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:51 pm

Thanks 4x4 tranny, for your suggestions but i think they are to difficult for me so I've decided to build the shower/ toilet room across the rear of the van allowing me to remove the cassette through the back doors.
Thanks again bob.
honda bob
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Juliet799 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:12 pm

Between a black tank toilet vs cassette toilet, which one do you think is best for your camper? Both the cassette toilet and the black tank toilet perform the same functions. They are convenient to use when you need to poop and are simple to operate. The tank system, on the other hand, makes a significant difference in terms of ease. The cassette toilet comes with a portable tank, whilst the other toilet does not.
Juliet799

Postby johnporter11 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:47 pm

Keeping to the original thread. Honda Bob's decision to access the cassette door from within the van makes sense at the best of times. I'd avoid cutting a hole in the side of my van any day. I see you've already bought your toilet - do check that it's got an "external pressure valve kit" on it. With a standard pressure valve it potentially leaks odours into the habitation area (unless your cassette house is totally sealed). Mine did, so I fitted the kit and took the flexible vent pipe down through the floor.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Juliet799 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:50 am

Juliet799 wrote:Between a black tank toilet vs cassette toilet, which one do you think is best for your camper? Both the cassette toilet and the black tank toilet perform the same functions. They are convenient to use when you need to poop and are simple to operate. The tank system, on the other hand, makes a significant difference in terms of ease. The cassette toilet comes with a portable tank, whilst the other toilet does not.

The cassette toilet is easier to maintain in terms of maintenance. Simply discard the garbage when it's full, and the tank and toilet bowl will be cleaned at the same time. Simply fill the tank with water and your preferred cleaning solution.
Juliet799

Postby johnporter11 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:50 pm

Juliet799 wrote:
Juliet799 wrote:Between a black tank toilet vs cassette toilet, which one do you think is best for your camper? Both the cassette toilet and the black tank toilet perform the same functions. They are convenient to use when you need to poop and are simple to operate. The tank system, on the other hand, makes a significant difference in terms of ease. The cassette toilet comes with a portable tank, whilst the other toilet does not.

The cassette toilet is easier to maintain in terms of maintenance. Simply discard the garbage when it's full, and the tank and toilet bowl will be cleaned at the same time. Simply fill the tank with water and your preferred cleaning solution.

I agree.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions