*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk7 liesure battery setup

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Re: mk7 liesure battery setup

Postby daraioj » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:40 am

Bozeuk wrote:Hi, sorry to revive an old thread but I'm in the same situation except I was wondering how, once I've got my third battery connected to my auxiliary battery, do I get it to stay on and be useabke with the ignition off? As soon as I turn the ignition off it kills everything. Is this because Mt current auxiliary battery isn't holding a charge? I'm going to replace it and also add a 150ah lead acid battery but don't want to spend on the 150ah unless I know how to make it useabke with the ignition off.

Thanks in advance guys and hope you don't mind me asking.

Just bought an ex Scottish water transit. Tis a 115 T350 HD. Its the RWD LWB high top.

Luckily there's still an airtronic d2 heater in it which isnt working properly, I think due to the aux battery being spent. There's also a small water heater and sink which is always warm. Have just spent the afternoon ridding it of half the racking so I can start making camp space!

Damo
Not 100% sure but if you have a dual battery setup there should be 3 connection points right behind the batteries. They're fused, 60amp each (if I remember correctly) and permanently live.

2010 2.4L RWD 100ps MT75 LWB High Roof
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Bozeuk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:02 pm

OK thanks, will see what transpires once I get a new battery. I figure I'll probably add another deep cycle battery anyways for lighting and such. Hopefully fit a 300w solar panel too.

Will update :-)
Bozeuk
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Bozeuk » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:28 pm

OK so I picked up an auxiliary battery and swapped it over which has solved several problems for me. I'm just curious about these three aux points that are always live. Is it the three sets of two connections I've circled in this picture? Which are positive and which are negative if so?

IMG_20190822_182606.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bozeuk
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:38 pm

That's them, all with 60 amp fuses, and they're all positive. Negative would normally be taken from an earth point local to where the "load" is placed. You obviously need to fit a lower rated inline fuse according to the rating of the load and the wiring :wink:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Bozeuk » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Altransit wrote:That's them, all with 60 amp fuses, and they're all positive. Negative would normally be taken from an earth point local to where the "load" is placed. You obviously need to fit a lower rated inline fuse according to the rating of the load and the wiring :wink:

Amazing, thanks for helping! So either nut on each side of each fuse can be used to add things? Or should I use a certain nut on a certain side? Also, (sorry for the noob questions) where would I be best adding a massive leisure battery? And how should I wire it in? Its be good to have it charge via the split charger that's already there but there may be a better way to add it in and charge it?

Thanks again

Damo
Bozeuk
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:52 pm

:shock: You only use the connection nut on the "load" side of the fuse, (RHS of your picture) so that the fuse is protecting the wiring. You shouldn't connect a battery directly to this connection point, as it will blow the fuse when you start the van! You need to connect the battery via an isolating relay of some sort, but others will know better than me how to set this up properly and safely.
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby daraioj » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:39 am

Bozeuk wrote:
Altransit wrote:That's them, all with 60 amp fuses, and they're all positive. Negative would normally be taken from an earth point local to where the "load" is placed. You obviously need to fit a lower rated inline fuse according to the rating of the load and the wiring :wink:

Amazing, thanks for helping! So either nut on each side of each fuse can be used to add things? Or should I use a certain nut on a certain side? Also, (sorry for the noob questions) where would I be best adding a massive leisure battery? And how should I wire it in? Its be good to have it charge via the split charger that's already there but there may be a better way to add it in and charge it?

Thanks again

Damo
The connection points are actually on the outside of the seat base (batteries box). There's a little black box with a red lid on it.

Talking about aux batteries. I have recently been advised I should under no circumstances connect two lead acid batteries directly in parallel because should a cell on either batteries fail it would cause a massive current flow with, possibly, catastrophic consequences.

How likely is that? Would a fuse in between the batteries suffice?

Thanks in advance!
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:33 pm

The only downside of connecting two batteries directly in parallel is that in the event of one battery failing, it will drag the other down with it. I've never heard of any catastrophic consequences of doing this :? :roll:
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby daraioj » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:26 pm

Altransit wrote:The only downside of connecting two batteries directly in parallel is that in the event of one battery failing, it will drag the other down with it. I've never heard of any catastrophic consequences of doing this :? :roll:
Well as far as I could understand, if there's a short circuit in, at least, one cell, that battery would drop it's voltage to 10v or less and would draw a large current from the other.
They mentioned the possibility of it blowing up, I'm assuming due to hydrogen build up.
I'm not an expert on that (or any) subject so sorry if I'm talking absolute garbage.
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:45 pm

Altransit wrote:The only downside of connecting two batteries directly in parallel is that in the event of one battery failing, it will drag the other down with it. I've never heard of any catastrophic consequences of doing this :? :roll:

I’ve had lead acid batteries in parallel on my camper vans for as long as I can remember and yes when one goes down it drags the outher down never had one blow up
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ashlemon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:48 pm

Sorry if this has been answered above but I'm struggling here to get power to the Splitcharge/leisure battery on my MK8 have I got the initial connection right on the photo? The batter is under the drivers seat.Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Ashlemon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:04 pm

The photo shows the fuse disconnected, I'm going through everything to try figure this out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Camper vans and conversions