*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lowering handbrake for drivers seat swivel

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Lowering handbrake for drivers seat swivel

Postby mr_so » Sat May 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Anyone? I managed to get hold of a bracket from coast 2 coast camper conversions but no fitting instructions.. Does anyone have this bracket installed and could share some photos please? :?:

If I put it the way up it's shown in the first photo the handbrake will foul the bit at the top, If I turn it the other way up the handbrake will be at an angle and netiher of these solutions seem right to me..

20180526_121651sml.jpg

20180526_121629sml.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr_so
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Lowering handbrake for drivers seat swivel

Postby dumper » Sat May 26, 2018 4:58 pm

Om my mk6 and mk8 all I did was re drill the mounting holes lower on the mk6 I used spacers after bending the lower lugs to make them parallel with seat base and on the mk8 re drilled the holes removed the captive stud and used a heavy duty washer on the inside of the seat box even after lowering the lever you still have to let handbrake off to turn the seat
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mr_so » Sat May 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for the response, I know it's still a PITA to swivel even with the bracket but I already have the swivels so may as well do it all now ;) A bloke in a FB camper van group has posted a photo of his handbrake with the bracket fitted so I know how it all goes together now, I was thinking the new bracket replaced the old one completely but it just makes new, lower mounting points for it..
mr_so
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Why dont you fit an electric hand brake off a mobility van with a switch on the dash :idea:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mr_so » Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 pm

Looks like an expensive option, if I could afford it I would do it though ;)
mr_so
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:20 pm

No price here http://www.hollinapplications.co.uk/Mot ... _index.htm but shop around as they are not that expensive and easily fitted :)
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mr_so » Thu May 31, 2018 5:17 pm

For anyone wishing to do similar, I got the bracket from coast 2 coast camper conversions give them a call and they can order the part ("Mk7 Transit handbrake lowering bracket", they'll know what it is..) and mail it to you. It fits like this,
20180527_190212s.jpg

And then you have to cut about 2 inches off the bottom of the handbrake cover so it fits again, you shouldn't have to adjust the handbrake at all after fitting but YMMV..

The handbrake has to be released to swivel the seat around which is a little annoying but it was certainly cheaper than having it moved to the right of the drivers seat or having an electric handbrake fitted :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr_so
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cheese Monkey » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:25 pm

I just drilled the holes in the seat base an inche or so lower and chopped a bit off the skirt. To stop it leaning inwards I just wedged some wood in somehow.

One thing to be aware of mind. The handbrake cable will be pushed through the floor and under the van which isn't a problem generally. However they are routed very close to the prop and exhaust heat shield.

My van developed a very annoying rattle on acceleration, which turned into constant noise. Took me ages to find what caused it- the handbrake cable had moved over time so it was resting against the prop and had vibrated its way against the heat shield and popped a rivet on it.

Worth getting underneath and just zip tying it to the chassis out of the way
98 Mk5 SWB MR Sold
03 Connect LWB sold
11 Mk7 350 140 Jumbo HR
Cheese Monkey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 4x4 tranny » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 am

well I have pivoting pedestal seat base, all i did was shorten the standard mount so seat swivels over it when on then shortened the base cable carrier under the floor and just had a new cable made think that cost me $30 works fine just had to alter switch so when off the light didnt come on
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions