*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Custom L or U shaped bed/seating

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Transit Custom L or U shaped bed/seating

Postby Jackalmond91 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Hello, I'm new to the group and not sure if this has been asked before. I am buying a SWB custom and I want to convert it into a camper. I see lots of adverts for L and U shaped seating for transporters, but never for transit. Can someone point me in the direction of a firm who make this system? Or anyone who has this kind of seating/bed fitted and will share the plans for it. TIA Jack
Jackalmond91

Re: Transit Custom L or U shaped bed/seating

Postby Bluebox » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi Jack, i converted a LWB Custom as camper and decided for a sofa lengthwise as front lounge behind the drivers seat, expandable to the bed. The kitchen block is lengthwise on the right, fridge/porta poti unit on the left. (left hand drive ;-)) The bed length is 1,8 m, with driver seat to the front app. 1,9 m with additional mattress part. Due to the inner width of the Transit custom it is only possible to arrange bed lengthwise.
Based on this layout i see in a SWB an L shaped layout with the short L part behind the front seats and kitchen block crosswise in the back. But than you have no place for a PP, if this is on your list with requirements. You can also mirror the layout with the kitchen block behind the seats and an L shaped sofa in the back. Just play on with the dimensions and create some drafts!
As input: I had a 9 seater and with the descriped layout we can put in the 2 single seats to drive with 5 people without dismantle any camping furniture. And a High roof, so no need to arrange the layout to allow propper standing in front of kitchen or climb up to beds in a pop up roof.
Best regards
Torsten
Bluebox

Re: Transit Custom L or U shaped bed/seating

Postby Jinch » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:35 am

Bluebox wrote:Hi Jack, i converted a LWB Custom as camper and decided for a sofa lengthwise as front lounge behind the drivers seat, expandable to the bed. The kitchen block is lengthwise on the right, fridge/porta poti unit on the left. (left hand drive ;-)) The bed length is 1,8 m, with driver seat to the front app. 1,9 m with additional mattress part. Due to the inner width of the Transit custom it is only possible to arrange bed lengthwise.
Based on this layout i see in a SWB an L shaped layout with the short L part behind the front seats and kitchen block crosswise in the back. But than you have no place for a PP, if this is on your list with requirements. You can also mirror the layout with the kitchen block behind the seats and an L shaped sofa in the back. Just play on with the dimensions and create some drafts!
As input: I had a 9 seater and with the descriped layout we can put in the 2 single seats to drive with 5 people without dismantle any camping furniture. And a High roof, so no need to arrange the layout to allow propper standing in front of kitchen or climb up to beds in a pop up roof.
Best regards
Torsten

Realise this is 3yrs ago, but if you're still around @Bluebox I'd love to talk with you about your conversion, as I also need to have two seats in the back with a u-shaped layout!
Jinch

Return to Camper vans and conversions