*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Split charge vs solar (and split charge impacting MPG??)

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Split charge vs solar (and split charge impacting MPG??)

Postby GuyT » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:41 pm

Hello all,

A couple of questions wrapped into one.

I’m in the planning and budgeting stages of a new van build and while ideally I’d love to have both solar and a split charge realistically right now it will be one or the other. As we are predominantly weekend travellers and this will be within the UK I’m guessing split charge is more effective than solar. I understand that you really need proper sunlight for solar to charge and while we’ve had an amazing spring summer and autumn winter is on its way so is split charge the more intelligent option? I’ll add solar in at a later date, or thats the plan.

On a second related question I heard/read that a split charge was impacting the MPG of someone’s van (FIAT Ducato) to the extent of losing 5mpg with the split charge in place, recovered when he disconnected the split charge?? I’m no mechanic but I understood the split charger ran off the alternator and the alternator was basically a process of taking mechanical motion (the turning of the engine) and converting this into electricity, hence the alternator recharges the van battery and in the instance of using a split charger charges the leisure battery once the van battery is fully charged.

If anyone can share their experiences of solar vs split charge I’d be really grateful.

Thanks
Guy
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Split charge vs solar (and split charge impacting MPG??)

Postby Backbone of Britain » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:23 pm

The question you have to ask is how long will you have to drive for to fully charge your leisure batteries. The solar will constantly charge your batteries even if it’s not putting in full power when parked up.
Ideally you would want both installed but if I had to choose one over the other I would pick solar first.
I’m part way through a conversion and I am fitting a battery to battery charger, mppt solar charger and mains charger.
Have a look at the self build motor caravanners club (sbmcc) if your doing a conversion £15 to join for the year and the knowledge on there is overwhelming. You’ll well get back your £15 in the information you will gain.
2006 Mk6 115 T350 LWB Highroof
2008 Mk7 115 T350 LX LWB Highroof
Backbone of Britain
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dumper » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:17 pm

If you go wild camping all the time I’d go split charge relay but if you go to sites with hook up you could get away with nether change up before levering home and plug in when you get on site the b2b smart changers are easy to fit and must be cheaper then A solar system
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby GuyT » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks for the comments, gives me something else to add to my thoughts.

Cheers
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby kazoo_u » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:10 pm

I had both on my mk7 conversion but removed the split charge system (durite smart relay). I could run a 12v coolbox plus lights, etc for just about a weekend on my big battery set with a 100w rigid panel and didn't think the split charge was doing the batteries much good. Alternator charging was very basic whereas the solar controller could be set to specific charging curves for different battery types and the bonus of a float charge when the van wasn't in use. My newest van is having just solar too, got a mipv 120w semi flexible to stick onto my sca pop top. I did contemplate putting a smart relay and an isolation switch so I could charge off the alternator if required, but I've got 260Ah of battery so figured I should manage!
Mk7 T260 swb 85ps camper self build. Roofrack with inset solar panel, Vantuner enabled cruise control.
kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kazoo_u » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Also the mk7 didn't have a smart charge system (for van battery) so alternator was alway on and I had no difference in mpg.
Mk7 T260 swb 85ps camper self build. Roofrack with inset solar panel, Vantuner enabled cruise control.
kazoo_u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mistericeman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:56 pm

We run 3 x 100ah leisure batteries charged via a durite VSR and 2 x 100w solar panels on the roof....
Can't say I've noticed any great difference in fuel economy since I fitted the VSR 3 years ago....
Solar is great in summer but next to hopeless in the UK winter...
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GuyT » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Thanks, once again, for the feedback everyone.

.....and if you happen to see this Mistericeman can you pm me about those windows you have for sale on another website..which i can’t register on hence can’t contact you on that website. Cheers :D
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby CasualNerd » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:30 pm

I'm fitting both, but if I had my time again I would just fit solar and not worry about the VSR as it's like of a backup now - but I expect a decent amount of sun here in Aus.

VSR is very easy to install, a few heavy gauge wires and you're done. Solar needs a lot more faffing about and cutting holes to run cables off the roof.
CasualNerd
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby longhair » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:20 am

Hi
I have a 2.2 custom camper and thought about fitting a solar panel aswell , but decided against it as the split charge keeps my leisure battery top up well and that's not doing mega miles every day, I recently did a week on the IOM and didn't need hookup once. That's running a 30 litre compresser fridge, led lighting, water pump and a diesel night heater. My leisure battery is 100 amp and I can get 2 nights away easily without using the split charge at all. As for mpg I can't say I have noticed any less since having it converted.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions