*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2017 Custom. Where to fit night diesel heater

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

2017 Custom. Where to fit night diesel heater

Postby clemmy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:32 pm

Just got a 2017 Tourneo which will be used as day car and small camper for overnight weekend trips. I'm going to install a night heater and still looking for the best position to place it under the van. (BTW, it's a left hand driving, I don't live in uk).

So far I have identified 2 locations.

#1 On the right side of the van, between B and C pillar, i.e. under the sliding door of the rear compartment. There is a large space measuring around 45x25 cm, 11 cm in height. Seems ideal, and has easy access to the step on the right side front door, where I can put the intake for cold air from the cabin (I have a small tool box there, but I can go troght it with the air tube. 2 small problem of this location:
* the fuel line from the tank will need to come from the left side of the van, crossing over the exhaust pipe of the vehicle engine. Will it be a problem? There is quite some space between exhaust and van floor, and some electric cables are already fitted there... but I don't know if the heat will affect my auxiliary fuel line.
* I don't really know where to fit the hot air tube to the interior of the van. Outlet of the heater will be quite backward, located near the C pillar.. should I make a u-turn with the air pipe and get closer to B pillar? Or should I get inside near the C pillar? What's the best way to the cabin in both areas?

#2 Second location would be in the left side of vehicle, behind the step below driver seat, between A and B pillar... Closer to the main fuel tank and maybe easier access for air inlet and outlet.... But I'm not sure the compartment down there is big enough to fit the heater..

So far I still need to buy the heater, and I'll do actual measurements as soon as I do... For the moment I like location #1 the more, but I'd appreciate any suggestion from the forum community.

I'm also curious about the heater location in professional campervan conversions...

Kind regards
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2017 Custom. Where to fit night diesel heater

Postby hectors-tranny » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 am

I know everyone's requirements are different, but we've been motorcaravanning in Transits for the last 20 years, and never had a built in heater. I find that if it's that cold, we tend to be on site anyway, hence hookup and a simple portable halogen electric heater does the trick. Even so hardly ever do that.

If your van is well insulated as ours is, ten minutes with the engine running and the van's own heater going full blast and its toasty in our van for a good couple of hours. And apart from that just thick bedclothes :-)

Worth a thought before shelling out.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:45 pm

I have allways fitted my night heaters inside the van in a bed you lose a bit of storage space but it is inside the van and you don’t have to worry about water and damp getting to it under the van I have only used my heater at night about twice when woke up cold my main use is for running a safety radio on car rally’s when you are set down for long periods and drinking cold beer when parked up at night before going to bed :lol:
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby clemmy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks, nice suggestions from both of you.

We have used the no heater option in the past for many nights in a smaller van, but we have now two small children.. I hope the presence of a night heater will allow us more night in the Alps.

I'll also consider the inside install option, but I'd prefer outside installation to be far away from combustion chamber and possibly more insulated from noise.

I've seen many pictures of nice heater installation under VW T5 and already identified drilling points on that one. Still need to find the best matching setup on my Ford.... However, I still have a couple of months for thinking and planning. I'll work on it during Christmas holidays
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby longhair » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi
I have a mikuni night heater fitted inside my custom camper. It's under the rocknroll bed so away from any damp or muck off the road. The fan makes most of it's noise for about the first 5 minutes as it's warming up but then it slows down so it is fairly quiet. We don't have on all night though, mostly before we settle down for the night or in the mornings to warm the van before we get up. You will find most of the noise comes from the heater's exhaust anyway.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richm » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm

Where did you decide to install the heater?
I am in the same position, thinking either
- under van behind drivers seat,
- or inside under rnr bed
where did you put diesel tank, I dont fancy that inside.
richm
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby longhair » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:08 pm

Mine is not fed from a separate tank, it feeds directly from the van's diesel tank. I know some people have a separate tank and use red diesel or kerosene to save a bit of money, but for what they consume, in my opinion, its not worth the effort.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:58 pm

On a panel van conversion I wouldn’t have a separate fuel tank inside the van maybe on a Coach built with a outside locker no matter how carful you are filling it you still have the possibility of splashing some fuel inside the van and the tank will have a vent for the smell to escape.if you want to fit the heater underneath the van they’re is fitting kits on eBay.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby richm » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:30 am

For everything you want to know about Chinese diesel heaters see this guy on utube
"John McK 47"
how they work, how to correctly install and why.
No gimmicks no music, just information.
richm
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:40 pm

richm wrote:For everything you want to know about Chinese diesel heaters see this guy on utube
"John McK 47"
how they work, how to correctly install and why.
No gimmicks no music, just information.

That’s who I watched before deciding to swoop my d3 for a plannair Chinese one very good clear advice.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 pm

I bought the plannIr Chinese type 1 and I also bought the in built tank straw from butler technics.
I installed it under the passenger seat, the exhaust goes through the floor and under the van, quite simple to do, i bought extra ducting, I bought a duct box that has a flap in and can vary the direction of heat between the cab and the back, I had the bulkhead fitted. It was very good, I would recommend extending the exhaust a bit further under the van though as passenger door open saw a fair bit of fumes coming in :lol:

Think munt was 5kw or rated. So you know, when they come on they go very powerfully then when hot they go quiet. If you are long term enjoying the camping out in the cold etc I think I would definitely have another, I didn't keep the van that long ago wasn't able to fully test it, but I did have mine on a few times while waiting and it kept the cab toasty 8)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Anthony1664 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:38 am

Those of you who are running heaters off the main tank have you dropped the tank to connect to the aux output I have spotted on the extras manual and if so how easy is the tank to drop to access it without access to a ramp ?
Anthony1664
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:04 am

Yes had to drop tank on both my mk6 and mk8 did one on the ramp and one on the floor on a ramp I had a third of a tank of fuel in it and used a transmission jack I paid a mate at a local garage to use the ramp and give me a hand .on the floor I put the van on six inch blocks of wood under the wheels and used a board on top of a trolley jack with not a lot of fuel in it so low I had to put fuel in to get heater to run
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Camper vans and conversions