*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Internal dimensions - Transit Custom LWB

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Internal dimensions - Transit Custom LWB

Postby nathanjkilleen » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Hey all,

I’m currently in the process of CAD planning a camper conversion for next spring - looking at L2H1 Customs. I can plan fairly accurately with just the load space dimensions given by Ford brochures, but what I can’t seem to find anywhere is a more detailed plan including the wheel arch positions etc. Would anyone here know of somewhere to find these resources? Or even have their own measurements to share?

What I’m primarily after is the dimensions of the wheel arches and their position relative to the front and back of the load space, and the actual size and position of the side door opening. Any height/width variance along the length of the load space could also be useful and I’m also interested in the side profile (I’m hugely keen on accurate modelling :wink:) so I can account for any curvature for the rear of cabinets.

I’m new here so thanks for having me, but even with the breadth of knowledge throughout this forum I’m still coming up short! (At least for the wheel arch and side door positions, I understand the curve profiles may be asking for the world lol)

I can’t currently get out to a dealer to measure one myself, so thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Cheers
nathanjkilleen

Re: Internal dimensions - Transit Custom LWB

Postby Balkan Boy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Here's to get you started.

In a few days I'll be putting a floor in the L1H1 Custom, and I'll be measuring everything twice.
If you can use anything from this model, let me know and I'll post it.
Balkan Boy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby nathanjkilleen » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:53 pm

That’s a great start cheers.

I’d assume the two models are very similar, if not identical, width wise so It would be interesting to hear back with what you find
nathanjkilleen

Postby Balkan Boy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:05 am

Hey mate,
Don't rely too much on the brochure measurements. I was surprised to find some are more than 50mm in either direction.

Distance between wheel arches: 1380mm
Distance between the pillars: 15800mm
Distance from wall to the edge of the side door: 1750mm

If you can, get an L2H2 or a big-boy Transit. Height in the L1H1 is only 1430-1450mm
Balkan Boy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby nathanjkilleen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

That width between the pillars is worrying, as it’s much narrower than the max 1775, especially once insulated and ply lined. Was that 1750 to the door with or without ply-lining too?

Yeah I’ll admit that trying to fit enough headroom for a decent bench seat in the H1 is my biggest concern/challenge at the minute - especially whist still not knowing if the wheel arches will be within the bench’s footprint yet, as that drastically effects its platform height... (I’m after an L-shaped type sofa that looks out the side door). I’ve looked at the H2 option but I need a full length rhino rack on the top for canoes and other long water sports equipment, plus the headroom increase isn’t enough to stop me from crouching anyway! The big-boy is far too big at the moment, but my opinion could change on that...
nathanjkilleen

Postby Balkan Boy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Can you make use of this?

It's from here: https://www.rolacase.com/ford-transit-custom-lwb-rear-floor-trim-rstffrtthalwb05-
Maybe if you ask them nicely they'll send you the file with measurements.
Balkan Boy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby volkan.akn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:41 pm

Balkan Boy wrote:Here's to get you started.

In a few days I'll be putting a floor in the L1H1 Custom, and I'll be measuring everything twice.
If you can use anything from this model, let me know and I'll post it.

Hello,

Looks like your image vanished :( could please upload again? thanks :)
volkan.akn

Postby boom » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:12 am

I have a laser scanner and was thinking of scanning the load arear of the mk3 lwb I have just bought to convert. I was going to use it for the wall profiles and floor plan. i'll post some data when ive scanned it.
boom
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby nathanjkilleen » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:21 am

boom wrote:I have a laser scanner and was thinking of scanning the load arear of the mk3 lwb I have just bought to convert. I was going to use it for the wall profiles and floor plan. i'll post some data when ive scanned it.

Boom - That would be awesome, please do.

I’ve recently restarted this project (having trouble shifting a house for the inheritance money...) and doing more searches has highlighted this is probably the only thread actually asking this question, which is surprising as I’d have thought more people would be after detailed ‘real life’ measurements for planning, especially as the usable floor space is so much less than stated, but maybe it’s just a few of us (or people don’t generally do CAD models I guess!)

I’ve made a lil bit of headway with image below, but haven’t been able to confirm much of it, if it’s any use in the mean time:

6A8A8079-4412-4E0B-BCE1-F81C0A139F9F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nathanjkilleen

Postby richbee » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:29 pm

There is a drawing on the ETIS site in the BEMM section

http://www.etis.ford.com/bemm/bemmCadSelectionForm.do

Won't give you everything you are after, but might be a good starting point
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions