*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Twin Battery Question

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Twin Battery Question

Postby jabber62 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:05 am

I have a MK7 2012 high roof mwb which I am slowly converting. I am told there are two batteries under the drivers seat, one for starting the van and the other for everything else. I am wondering rather than put in a third leisure battery, is it doable to replace the batteries under the seat with a heavy duty one for all things van and a leisure battery for all things camper. Is the space adequte for that set up. (would the batteries be physically bigger) Sorry if this is a stupid question but when it comes to auto electrics...guilty as charged :oops:
jabber62

Re: Twin Battery Question

Postby dumper » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am

You’d be better off with separate leisure batteries indpendant of van batteries and a B2B charger system if the front aux battery goes flat or voltage low it will cause all sorts problems with the van systems
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hectors-tranny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Yep - defo as Dumper says.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jabber62 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:41 pm

Thanks guys..much appreciated.
jabber62

Postby Noctule » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:43 am

On the back of the seat you will find three power points to connect any accessories to. If your van is Euro4 attach a voltage sensing relay to switch a decent relay to charge the leisure batteries. If it's Euro5 you need to fit a B2B charger as above. If you have the money to spare then a B2B charger is the better option, especially if you have several larger batteries to charge as it will charge them at 14.4v regardless of the system voltage.

Mat
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby hectors-tranny » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Defo a B2B charger is the way to go. Charges leisure battery very fast. I'm pretty sure all Mk8s have smart alternators so can't be used with VSRs anyway.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanali » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi, I've been working on converting my Mk7 2013 fitted with dual factory fitted batteries. I switched to a single passenger seat and fitted 2 x 110ah low height batteries under the passenger seat. I linked them to one of the 60amp fused outputs under the red cover on the drivers seat base through a voltage sensitive relay (opens to charge the "leisure batteries" at 13.3v and closes at 12.6v) which should prevent running down either of the factory fitted batteries if I understand correctly. The 2 x 110ah batteries supply the 12v leisure circuit and 12v fridge. I'm now wondering if I should have gone for a B2B set-up :(
vanali

Postby Outtheway » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:31 pm

Noctule wrote:On the back of the seat you will find three power points to connect any accessories to. If your van is Euro4 attach a voltage sensing relay to switch a decent relay to charge the leisure batteries. If it's Euro5 you need to fit a B2B charger as above. If you have the money to spare then a B2B charger is the better option, especially if you have several larger batteries to charge as it will charge them at 14.4v regardless of the system voltage.

Mat
How can I tell if it's a Euro4 or Euro5? New to transits, mine is a 2010 crewvan

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Outtheway
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cider Andy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Outtheway wrote:
Noctule wrote:On the back of the seat you will find three power points to connect any accessories to. If your van is Euro4 attach a voltage sensing relay to switch a decent relay to charge the leisure batteries. If it's Euro5 you need to fit a B2B charger as above. If you have the money to spare then a B2B charger is the better option, especially if you have several larger batteries to charge as it will charge them at 14.4v regardless of the system voltage.

Mat
How can I tell if it's a Euro4 or Euro5? New to transits, mine is a 2010 crewvan.

2010 is a Euro4 van. It too has a smart alternator but the split-charging setup does work with a voltage sensing relay - I've fitted one on my own van.

As someone else suggested, I'd replace the twin passenger seat with a single seat sitting on the same box as the driver's seat. It bolts straight in to the same mounting holes and will accomodate a pair of 110Ah leisure batteries. However, single passenger seats with a right-hand armrest and height adjustment are quite rare and command a premium. Another option is to search for a driver's seat on eBay Germany (search for "Transit sitz"). I got lucky with the single passenger seat as I found one out of a Tourneo, complete with the box base, for £10! The fabric upholstery is wrong but as I'm reupholstering the seats it's not an issue.

If you want to keep the twin passenger seat, not all vans come with two batteries from the factory so it can certainly be converted to a single battery setup using the same under-seat fusebox but it has a bus bar in place of the twin battery relay. The thing is, I don't know if any other wiring needs changing and I think the BCM has to be reprogrammed as well.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Cider Andy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:00 am

Cider Andy wrote:2010 is a Euro4 van. It too has a smart alternator but the split-charging setup does work with a voltage sensing relay - I've fitted one on my own van.

There's a bit of confusion about what a 'smart' alternator is. For the last 15 or 20 years a 'smart' alternator has been around, smart because after starting the engine it gently raises the output voltage irrespective of engine speed to prevent damage to electronic equipment. But a 'smart' alternator these days, introduced to help meet Euro6 emissions standards, forms part of the regenerative braking systems, in conjuntion with on-board ECUs and different battery technologies. It's these vehicles that need battery-to battery charging systems to totally separate the modern vehicle electrical system from the traditional 'leisure' electrical systems.

Whilst you don't need such a BtoB charging system on older vehicles, there is still a benefit in using one over a VSR split charger as it will charge the leisure batteries more quickly and to a higher state.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby lcbandit » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 pm

How can you tell if you have a smart alternator? I have a lwb 2013 transit ex network rail and trying to sort alternative charging out for my 2 leisure batteries
mk7 2013 plate :D
lcbandit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby hectors-tranny » Sun May 05, 2019 8:28 pm

I wouldn’t worry about it - just get a B2B charger.

Apart for the advantages listed above, your leisure batteries will also last much longer, as the charger keeps them healthy.

Brilliant bit of kit.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions