*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Any pitfalls when removing Custom front seats?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Any pitfalls when removing Custom front seats?

Postby wild camper » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:14 pm

I’ve decided to fit swivels to both Custom front seats
This entails removing both seats
I’ve seen some suggestions that I’ll have to be very careful when unplugging the various cables, apparently it can cause error codes
Some suggest I’d have to disconnect the battery or perhaps just ensure the ignition is off and remove keys
I’ve bought a single passenger seat and base from a Mk2 Sprinter which has no heated seat or any cabling, can I just leave the cabling unplugged ( I never use the heated seats in my Limited)
What happens if I don’t connect the seat belt warning cable?, will there be a constant dash warning? do I need to disable it in some way
I’m also planning on buying used swivels off eBay to keep the cost down, I’m hoping a local blacksmith can fabricate weld on tabs to match existing captive nuts in the Custom floor and “MacGyver” the swivel to the Sprinter base and seat
Anyone “bodged” a similar fix?
I’m hoping a swivel designed for another make and model vehicle can fairly easily be modified for a safe fitment to a Custom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Any pitfalls when removing Custom front seats?

Postby longhair » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:01 pm

I just did it with the ignition off. I haven't connected the heated seat back up yet as the wire needs extending because of the swivel and everything is fine. The plug was only for the heated seat though. The seatbelt warning isn't affected by it. I'm not sure how that is connected. The bench seat didn't have a airbag. I'm not sure how you would go on with drivers side though because of the airbag in it. In my Haynes it says disconnect the negative terminal and wait a minimum of three minutes before proceeding with the removal of any part which contains an airbag.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions