*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ferry / tunnel price ??

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Ferry / tunnel price ??

Postby thebarber » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:59 am

Is anyone taking their conversion oversea?
I ask because I'm looking to part convert a 350 but I'm reading unless you get it signed off with dvla as a camper you're charged as freight on any crossing.
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Ferry / tunnel price ??

Postby reallyoldian » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:44 am

Hi im going on the tunnel in July its only just over £200 for the 2 of us and our dog ,the van is not registered as a camper still a panel van .dogs are £19 each way . :(
reallyoldian
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby thebarber » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:33 am

What size
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Noctule » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:47 pm

P&O had a crackdown a few years ago with people trying to book vans as campers to avoid freight prices, for us Hull to Rotterdam is around £300 return in the camper, £1300 in the work van! Because of that we drive all the way from East Yorkshire to Harwich and use Stena for an overnight trip for around £500 when working abroad.

I think so long as you look like a camper, both outside and inside, you're okay. You should also be able to book as a private van, as opposed to a commercial van, which should also be cheaper.

Mat
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wild camper » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 pm

I’ve just travelled Newhaven-DIEPPE 2jun19 one way with DFDS for £90+ (less than £100) 1 pax in a SWB Custom, less than 5m, less than 2m high
I declared that it wasn’t sign written and not carrying freight, Simples
The only minor glitch was a security check at Newhaven where they asked if I was carrying any knives in the van loner than 3”, I said yes, but cutlery is accepted
They also don’t want you to be carrying any gas cylinders
I arrived hours early and was hoping to get on an earlier sailing, they checked and computer says £60 amendment fee-I waited for my booked sailing!
Have a good trip but beware, they all drive on the wrong side of the road here!
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby reallyoldian » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:45 am

Hi , I have a medium wheel high top ,the tunnel is quick hassle free ,at least at the moment god knows what it will be like after Brexit ? :( in feb I used the tunnel in a luton van long wheelbase ,same price .
reallyoldian
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby hectors-tranny » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:00 am

I recently booked on P&O for a two week trip. I paid 223 Euros in total. (2016 Transit L3H3.) They never asked me whether my camper was DVLA re-registered as such (and I must say I've never been asked in the past either).

I should add though that mine has been re-registered as a camper.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby steviebee » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Had a problem a few years back was going over via P+O my friend was in front with her husband in a car and I was taking a load of stuff over for her and had to take my kitchen unit out to get it all in. She told them at the book in that her friends were in the VAN behind. I was booked in as a camper and even a camper on the log book and looked like camper van inside and out. No I had to pay extra as they said as I had no cooker in it it was a van. Was not best pleased.
2005 85ps t280 swb camper, chrome door handles, outside temp gauge and clock and auxiliary 12volt socket. Colour coded bumpers & door mirrors, Mondeo glasses holder. Auto dim rear view mirror. Vantunered :D . 2012 Transit Trend in Panther Black
steviebee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Camper vans and conversions