*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Diesal Heater Install - Fuel Tank Connection

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Diesal Heater Install - Fuel Tank Connection

Postby Lizard42K » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi all,

About to install my diesal heater into my 2014 mk 7.

Got excited when I saw a few things about an auxiliary fuel tank connection? Does anyone know if a mk7 transit has such a thing, and how to get to it?

I did read its a case of dropping the fuel tank, snapping off a nipple (ouch!) and connecting via the top - Dropping the tank is not something I would have the confidence to do. Hoping there might be a simple unscrew and connect somewhere? maybe on the sender? ...Maybe I'm being way to hopeful! :)

Any advice / ideas appreciated!

Thanks,
Simon.
2014 Mk 7 XLWB High Top
Lizard42K

Re: Diesal Heater Install - Fuel Tank Connection

Postby thebarber » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:04 pm

This is also on my list of things to do, I wouldn't have thought dropping the tank would be a major issue tho.
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Lizard42K » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:23 pm

I may well opt for a separate tank inside the van - Only issue is the connectors for the heater are all on the bottom, so the fuel feed would need to be connected under the van, then feed back in again - Which feels wrong!
2014 Mk 7 XLWB High Top
Lizard42K

Postby Dan Olausson » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:39 pm

I vote for lowering the tank and install a pickup pipe. In my experience quick fixes takes longer than proper fixes.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Dan Olausson

Postby Cider Andy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Looks like you might be right about the pick-up on to of the tank, on the sender. Two pics show the whole top of the tank and a close-up of the sender.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fink » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:22 pm

Did mine yesterday. Fuel line for my Wallas heater installed.

Biggest hassle was undoing the outside two bolts that had partially seized. Oh and getting my lardy arse underneath ( 2 jacks underneath the front points solved that problem)

Dropped the tank far enough to be able to see and reach the nipple.

Took about 3mm from the top with a junior hacksaw, made sure the hole was big enough to insert the feed pipe and popped on the feed cap. That part took all of 30 seconds.

Drain off as much fuel as you can think I had about 95 miles left on the clocks.

Tub underneath. Slacked breather hose clamp, slacken main fuel filler hose clamp and wiggle it free gently as there will be a bit of fuel dribble out.

Outside 2 bolts are about 21/2inches long inside ones 11/2

Jack underneath tank with bit of wood to spread load

Undo. The 4 bolts and gently lower tank till you can see and reach the sender unit. You access it from under the drivers side of vehicle.

After feed is inserted jack up tank and refit straps and bolts, reconnect main filler and breather hoses.
fink
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:23 pm

That’s what I did on my mk 6&8 the mk 6 I did at work on a ramp the mk 8 on the drive if you have run it real low you will have to top it up as the straw does not go all the way to the bottom of the tank cuts off at just over a 1/4 of a tank so you don’t run out of fuel
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Camper vans and conversions