*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

240v options.

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

240v options.

Postby Stav242 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:35 pm

ive just picked up my first Ford Transit Campervan, and been looking through what ive got.

it had a 240v shoreline installed, wired to 3 sockets in the van, wierdly they are all wired brown>N, blue>L and Green>Earth with a cable linking one side of the van to the other by going down under the vehicle and weaving through the subframe underneath (*hanging a bit loose*).

anyway, after seeing that mess, ive ripped it all out and replaced it all, wired correctly & routed internally.

it also has solar, 12v mptt charge controller and 2 leisure batteries to a 12v system in the van for usb, lights and 12v sockets.

I wanted 240v off-grid as well... so ive dug out an old APC CS-500 UPS i had hanging around with no batteries, wired it into the 12v leisure batteries and into the 240v shoreline and 240v van setup.

so when i turn it on for 240v use, it now provides 240v auto-switching (UPS function) between shoreline and batteries.
it also charges the 12v batteries when it connected to the shoreline.

can anyone see any issue with using a computer UPS in this way ?
Stav242
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 240v options.

Postby Cider Andy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:53 am

They only problem I could foresee with that set-up is if the battery capacity is now much greater than it was as a UPS, once the batteries are low it might exceed the charging capacity of the UPS.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Camper vans and conversions