*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk4 smiley roof seal howto

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Mk4 smiley roof seal howto

Postby npjrogers » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:29 pm

We have a nearly mint 96 smiley banana with grp hightop. Horizons Camaro. The seal between the van and the grp top looked decidedly dodgy. The seal had opened up a gap all along the rain gutter. The seal to use is 1k PU seam sealer... NOT silicone or bath seal. Tiger seal is one brand but there are many. I used Omniseal from Henkel @ £6 per cartridge. You need to totally remove the old seal with a sharp knife and lots of patience. Clean all the trapped dust and dirt out from where the sealer was. This will expose some rusty patches. Treat these with etch primer or red primer and add several coats of white primer. I used whit spirit in an old plastic trigger spray container. Now its time to seal the joint with PU. First wipe the area with thinners to clean and degrease. Then put a 5 to 7 mm bead of sealer along the join concentrating on the join between the grp and the rain gutter.. Now its time to smooth it nicely. Use a well soaked clean rag with Thinners on it to get a smooth and good looking finish. I hope this helps someone else doing it for the first time like me.
Sic Transit Gloria
npjrogers
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk4 smiley roof seal howto

Postby npjrogers » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Here are befor and after pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sic Transit Gloria
npjrogers
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Camper vans and conversions