*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Handbrake lowering for swivel seat

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Handbrake lowering for swivel seat

Postby Carlos_vanlife » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:35 pm

Iv just lowered the handbrake this weekend for the swivel seat conversion on my transit lwb 2.4 rwd mk7. I had trouble finding the lowering kit so had to do a diy job on it.
Removed the hand brake
Cut off bent brackets
Cut excess cable sheathing and spring.
Drill holes into floor
Bolt from under heat shield.
Cuts excess from threaded handbrake bar
Remove plastic from cover and reinstall with just the rubber
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carlos_vanlife

Re: Handbrake lowering for swivel seat

Postby Laika 580 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Good job, might give it a go.
Laika 580

Postby dumper » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:40 pm

On my mk6 all I did was straighten the bottom lugs on handbrake lever re drill the seat base holes and make a spacer up for the top bolt and put some heavy duty washer behind the Nutts inside the seat box the handbrake cable just pushed thro the floor and was nowhere near anything under the van in fact I didn’t even disconnect the handbrake cable at all .
on my mk8 it was easy as the lugs on the handbrake and the seat box are square with each other all I did was re dill the seat box the only reall problem was I had to fit a very big flat bar behind the top bolt as it came inside a big hole in the seat box I had to remove the handbrake off the van to knock the top captive bolt out of the handbrake if I was doing a mk6 again or mk7 I would remove the handbrake lever as it would be a lot easier to bend the lugs straight
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Carlos_vanlife » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:02 pm

dumper wrote:On my mk6 all I did was straighten the bottom lugs on handbrake lever re drill the seat base holes and make a spacer up for the top bolt and put some heavy duty washer behind the Nutts inside the seat box the handbrake cable just pushed thro the floor and was nowhere near anything under the van in fact I didn’t even disconnect the handbrake cable at all .
on my mk8 it was easy as the lugs on the handbrake and the seat box are square with each other all I did was re dill the seat box the only reall problem was I had to fit a very big flat bar behind the top bolt as it came inside a big hole in the seat box I had to remove the handbrake off the van to knock the top captive bolt out of the handbrake if I was doing a mk6 again or mk7 I would remove the handbrake lever as it would be a lot easier to bend the lugs straight

With the lwb rwd the hand brake cable dropped onto the heatsheild and rattled on the headshild and knocked against the driveshaft. I doubt it would of lasted that long running on the driveshaft on a long journey
Carlos_vanlife

Postby dumper » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:42 pm

Mine was rwd no problem at all ran it for9 years
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper