*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

First Van Insulation Question

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

First Van Insulation Question

Postby ShellOtta » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:58 pm

I have just purchased my first ever van and am planning to convert. It's a T280 FWD, MWB, Med Roof.
We plan to use is mostly in summer at first with basic construction to being with (bed and storage).
Currently ply lined and pretty tidy. Not sure about putting in a new window yet.

Do I remove the ply lining and insulate, or just carpet line it?

We have a good supply of old polyster duvet quilts which we could use as insulation. If I do remove the ply lining and insulate with these quilts is there a risk of moisture being trapped between the insulation and the metal panels...and then a risk of rust? How can I avoid this?

Anyone used quilts to insulate their van? How did you do it?

Cheers all
Complete Newbie - First conversion Ford Transit Mk 7 MWB (Moonbeam)
ShellOtta

Re: First Van Insulation Question

Postby Chug » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:57 am

Have you checked its not been insulated under the ply lining? and having refitted a few campers over the years I would only use solid polystyrene insulation blocks as I've seen the mess fibre glass makes with wood and metal when it gets wet. :shock:
If you are only going to use it in summer then you could just carpet line it, but stay out on a cold night and you will wish you had insulated it. :wink:
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dumper » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:32 pm

If you can get it try recycled plastic bottle type used it in my last van after 9 years I had to take a panel off to get at wireing and it was as good as new I had waxoil the panels before I put the insulation in on my present van I couldn’t get any so had to use the glass fibre type but it’s cr@p to use
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ShellOtta » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:59 pm

Chuggy wrote:Have you checked its not been insulated under the ply lining? and having refitted a few campers over the years I would only use solid polystyrene insulation blocks as I've seen the mess fibre glass makes with wood and metal when it gets wet. :shock:
If you are only going to use it in summer then you could just carpet line it, but stay out on a cold night and you will wish you had insulated it. :wink:

Thanks Chuggy, no the previous owner confirmed it has no insulation behind the ply, he did the ply lining himself. We are definitely not going to use glass fibre, am thinking about using polyester duvet/quilts but am wondering about moisture getting trapped what is your advice?

dumper wrote:If you can get it try recycled plastic bottle type used it in my last van after 9 years I had to take a panel off to get at wireing and it was as good as new I had waxoil the panels before I put the insulation in on my present van I couldn’t get any so had to use the glass fibre type but it’s cr@p to use

Thanks dumper, would you say polyester duvets/quilts are similar material to recycled insulation made from plastic bottles? We are trying to use materials available to use as much as possible. Why did you use wax oil on panels before putting the insulation in, was that to help stop moisture getting to the metal beyond the insulation/ply layers?
ShellOtta

Postby dumper » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:10 pm

I waxoiled to stop rust and stop the panels sweating I’ve not heard of anyone using quilts but if I was I’d waxoil first you may need a few it’s surprising haw much material a van will take
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ShellOtta » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:16 pm

dumper wrote:I waxoiled to stop rust and stop the panels sweating I’ve not heard of anyone using quilts but if I was I’d waxoil first you may need a few it’s surprising haw much material a van will take

Awesome thanks again, will invest in some wax oil! We have about 6 duvets am hoping they will be enough :)
ShellOtta

Postby golfchick » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:23 pm

We’ve just picked up a high top MWB transit and we’re at the insulation stage. So far we’ve done silent coat all over then some dodo Matt insulation liner, next we’re doing recycled bottle insulation from b&q under the plywood. On the floor we’ve gone for kingspan insulation board under 12mm plywood and will be covering with Altro. Check it out Instagram for photos @golfchick24
golfchick

Postby ShellOtta » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:52 pm

golfchick wrote:We’ve just picked up a high top MWB transit and we’re at the insulation stage. So far we’ve done silent coat all over then some dodo Matt insulation liner, next we’re doing recycled bottle insulation from b&q under the plywood. On the floor we’ve gone for kingspan insulation board under 12mm plywood and will be covering with Altro. Check it out Instagram for photos @golfchick24

Ah your van looks just like ours except a higher roof! Great pics, will follow your progress with interest. :D
ShellOtta

Return to Camper vans and conversions