*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fitting rear seats.

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Fitting rear seats.

Postby Pi9meat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi, I have a FORD TRANSIT 2.2 TDCI 280M 115CH BV6. I'm looking to install rear seats for when I wanna go away with friends I can take down the cabin wall and travel as 5/6. Is this possible? If so can anyone guide me as to which brackets/seats to purchase etc!?

Cheers
Pi9meat

Re: Fitting rear seats.

Postby Ashlemon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:30 pm

I got a row of torneo custom seats from a coach builder on ebay (£400) they were hard to fit I wont lie as there are six tracks to install however the are amazing seats. Each is easily removable and the whole row can be flipped 180 if needed.
If your happy with a lot of work pick them if you want a more simple task purchase a fixed row/bench.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Garryr » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:04 pm

Hi Ashlemon
I am thinking of getting the second row tourney seats, in my 2018 L1 H1 van, when you say hard to fit, what problems did you incur, I know the fuel thank has to be dropped etc: your experience would be much appreciated.
Garryr

Postby Ashlemon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:01 pm

Garryr wrote:Hi Ashlemon
I am thinking of getting the second row tourney seats, in my 2018 L1 H1 van, when you say hard to fit, what problems did you incur, I know the fuel thank has to be dropped etc: your experience would be much appreciated.
With these seats there are two rails per seat each containing 5 bolts. All three seats stretch across the whole van so you have many obstacles in the way to over come.

The driver side is easy, you get under there and see all the space you have, the middle seat 1st rail requires you to lower the exhaust and remove the heat guard (simple) to get the holes drilled and bolted in place. 2nd rail middle seat and 1st rail passenger side seat are really tough, the fuel tank needs to come off and it's big so ensure it's as empty as you can get it. Then you will need to be cautious with the hole positioning as you are really close to the main frame work, you'll need to position the rails so each hole gets a clean run through the floor and is accessible on the under side, whilst keeping the spacing correct so the seat goes in. We had to grind some welded nuts from the underside which initially I wasnt happy about but when they came off I realised they were meaningless.

Photo is recent as I've just laid the flooringImage

Ashlemon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Spaceman210 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:53 pm

Ashlemon wrote:
Garryr wrote:Hi Ashlemon
With these seats there are two rails per seat each containing 5 bolts. All three seats stretch across the whole van so you have many obstacles in the way to over come.

The driver side is easy, you get under there and see all the space you have, the middle seat 1st rail requires you to lower the exhaust and remove the heat guard (simple) to get the holes drilled and bolted in place. 2nd rail middle seat and 1st rail passenger side seat are really tough, the fuel tank needs to come off and it's big so ensure it's as empty as you can get it. Then you will need to be cautious with the hole positioning as you are really close to the main frame work, you'll need to position the rails so each hole gets a clean run through the floor and is accessible on the under side, whilst keeping the spacing correct so the seat goes in. We had to grind some welded nuts from the underside which initially I wasnt happy about but when they came off I realised they were meaningless.

Photo is recent as I've just laid the flooringImage

Hi I have the same seats for fitting in my l1 2016 custom. Do you have any pictures of the underside. What spreader plates etc did you use? Also did you use the original torx bolts to bolt the rails down and use nyloc nuts on them?

Thanks for any help
Greig
Spaceman210
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Eyespy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:01 pm

I want to fit these type seats to my L2 custom...

Lots of investigation but yet to find an end to end view....

I have found the BEMM which indicates where the holes need to be. It says all vans have the fixings in them.

What am I looking for when I drill through, how do I know? If they don't have the fixings in what do you use to fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Eyespy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:48 pm

I don’t know if will help as it’s going back to a mk3 fitting a single seat the nuts where welded on to the floor but had no threads and the holes are not drilled through the floor what I did from underneath was to drill through a tapping size drill and then run a tap in from the top m8 I think drill bit 6.5 mil .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Eyespy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:25 am

That sounds similar to what I have read...on the latest transit custom.

M12 bolts from Ford are self tappers. I am keen to know what I am looking for on the underside and how I know once I have drilled if I have the fixings or not.

The BEMM says all vans will have the fixings but I have seen a post on here to the contrary. All pretty tricky on knowing the key stuff before I start
Eyespy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:40 am

Would say they will look like a nut with no threads in if you find some drill through the floor and then tap through from the top I wouldn’t try using the self tapping bolt to thread them
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Camper vans and conversions